X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resizing Questions

I'm in the position where I need to get some of my kilts resized. I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere, but I wanted to ask the general kiltmaking public a couple a quick questions.

1. How much trouble is it to take-in a kilt? How much can a kilt be taken-in?
    2. Does it alter the appearance in any way?
    3. Can a regular seamstress do this or should I work with a kiltmaker?
    2. How much do these alterations cosr?

I'm trying to hold off until I decide on my final weight and the kilts become essentially unwearable. I also want to know if it's worth the cost to alter the kilts or do I add to the clearance sale. I'm trying to thin the herd you might say.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a little experience with making kilts smaller as I began making and wearing kilts as I lost weight.

There are different techniques for making a kilt smaller, some simple and some requiring remaking.

The simplest is leaving all the fabric as it is and moving the fastenings, so the kilt is wrapped tighter. This increases the percentage of the kilt which is the visible apron, and moves the previous centre back towards the right hip - not a problem with some pleating methods, but where pleated to the sett the centre front and back would tend to be no longer a match nor be centred on the pattern.

If you have a rare tartan or a simply made kilt without much reinforcement in the fell then it might be worth the time to have it resizes, the first professionally and the second by a competent sewer, but I suspect that for a medium quality kilt it would be as cost effective to sell it and buy the correct size.

I have the luxury of being able to remake kilts myself, and the one I am wearing at the moment has been reincarnated at least three times that I can remember and has lost 12 inches from the waist. The time taken would probably add up to more than required to make from new, but as I don't pay for it it is of no consequence.

If you know anyone who could make you an X kilt, or perhaps you could take up the task yourself it would be worthwhile.

Looking at the kilt I am wearing, I have to say that it is well worth using a quality fabric for a good visual effect. This kilt is perfectly comfortable and it fits, but time has not been kind to it and only a gentle wash, a lot of ironing, spray starch and pressing would make it look acceptable again. The fabric is really too light, has too soft a handle and finish to look smart without a lot of attention.

Anne the Pleater

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KiltedDawg View Post

1. How much trouble is it to take-in a kilt? How much can a kilt be taken-in?
    2. Does it alter the appearance in any way?
    3. Can a regular seamstress do this or should I work with a kiltmaker?
    2. How much do these alterations cosr?
    If it isn't too much, you can simply move the apron edge buckle(s) and the underapron strap. As Anne says, you can take a kilt in by several inches this way, and it will look fine. I moved the buckles on one of our band member's kilt almost 6", and it wasn't all that noticeable.

If you need to take it in a lot more than a couple of inches, and you want a permanent solution, a kiltmaker would reduce the size of the apron and underapron but not touch the pleats (can't, because the pleats are cut out on the inside to reduce bulk in the fell). This is a time-consuming process if it's done correctly and involves taking off the lining, top band, and canvas, unstitching the apron and underapron edges, altering both symmetrically so that the center stripe is still centered, and putting the whole thing back together again. This results in an apron that is disproportionately small compared to the pleats, but it's not all that noticeable unless you have to take the kilt in more than a couple of inches.

A regular seamstress wouldn't have a clue. A kiltmaker is likely to charge $150 or more. If you can find a kiltmaker who'll do it for $50, he/she either is willing to work for very low hourly wages or doesn't know what he/she is doing.

Many people find that, given the cost of alteration, it's more satisfactory to sell the kilt that's too big and buy a new one if they lose a lot of weight. The "For Sale" forum here is a good place to sell a kilt.
    Last edited by Barb T; 8th February 09 at 12:17 PM.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. I'm guessing that I can move the buckles. Up to 6 inches is more than I had in mind. I'm looking at 3 inches or so. Is this process very costly or time consuming?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO Moving the buckles should not be costly nor time-consuming. Any capable seamstress should be able to do the job without specialized kilt-making knowledge. Ask to see some of their hand-work first, just to make sure they can produce the fine, nearly invisible stitches you want (compare it to the stitching that holds your buckles in place now).
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. I'm guessing that I can move the buckles. Up to 6 inches is more than I had in mind. I'm looking at 3 inches or so. Is this process very costly or time consuming?
    Just remember that you move both the apron edge buckles (moving the one next to the buttonhole doesn't do anything) and the underapron strap. Takes me less than half an hour to do this. It's not a difficult process.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Less than thirty minutes? But Barb, you must consider that you are a "Rock Star" amungst kilt-makers. What does this really translate into for mere mortals?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Less than thirty minutes? But Barb, you must consider that you are a "Rock Star" amungst kilt-makers. What does this really translate into for mere mortals?
    I'd say for the average bachelor, an hour. It depends on the kilt, a bit. A traditional tank would go more quickly than, say, a Stillwater heavyweight because of how the straps and buckles were put on.
    Ken Sallenger - apprentice kiltmaker, journeyman curmudgeon,
    gainfully unemployed systems programmer