X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St. Andrew's Society

Could anybody shed any light on joining? The local society's website lists rules and meeting dates, but nothing about how to join...which I'm interested in doing...just not very sure of exactly what I'm getting into.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by budd4766 View Post
    Could anybody shed any light on joining? The local society's website lists rules and meeting dates, but nothing about how to join...which I'm interested in doing...just not very sure of exactly what I'm getting into.
    Which one are you referring to?

Some societies may be invitation only, whilst others may allow anyone to join. Some may require you to fill out a formal application and list genealogical information. Some are "gents-only", others admit male and female members.

There are many St. Andrew's society's around the globe, and some are affiliated with a Scottish organisation like the St. Andrew Society, Saltire society, Burns Federation, etc., no two are exactly alike.

Is there a contact person listed on the web site? If so, your best bet would be contact them and ask your questions.

Regards,

Todd

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you referring to the St. Andrew's Society of Columbia? If so, please look at Rule Nos. 6 & 7 on their web site:

http://standrewscolumbia.com/rules.aspx

It would appear that they are an invitation-only society with limited membership numbers.

There may be another Scottish/Caledonian Club in the area that isn't as stringent on its membership requirements.

Regards,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, the Columbia chapter was the one I was looking at. No contact info besides the mailing address. No idea how to get in on it. I'd heard mention of St. Andrew's Societies in this forum before, and thought it would be something interesting to check into, maybe a good place to hang out "kilted", but got stumped at the website.

I figured something like that would be at least a little more open and accessible, but I'm not really going to lose any sleep over not being able to join, either if it's really that exclusive.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I joined the Illinois St. Andrew's Society on line. The main thing I do is go to the Highland Games in June. I guess each group sets its own rules.
    Animo non astutia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If no luck with the St. Andrews Soc and if you have Scotsheritage in your background try a clan orginization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go to http://rbsm.org/
    its the Robert Burns Society of the Midlands. They are based in Columbia, SC. And they have open membership. It looks like they meet throughout the year.

But don't expect everyone to be kilted. I'm one of two that shows up to the meetings kilted of my local society.

Phogfan86 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our local St. Andrew Society is more about fellowship and potlucks and a presentation on some aspect of Scots culture than rules and regulations. We have a Burns tea on a Sunday afternoon instead of a $100-a-head dinner. We don't have a reading circle or a Burns study group or a color guard or a social committee. We do have officers, but that's about it. I'm our group's secretary.

Part of that is also because the average age of our group is, well, pretty old. I'm trying to change that a wee bit with some ideas that might draw younger folks in -- like beer and pub/kilt nights.

There are 50 lines on our membership roster, and a lot of those are married couples and families, but at any given meeting, we probably get 20-30 folks.

Each SAS makes their own rules, and that's cool. Each group knows what they want to get out of it.
    Why, a child of five could understand this. Quick -- someone fetch me a child of five!

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phogfan86 View Post
    Our local St. Andrew Society is more about fellowship and potlucks and a presentation on some aspect of Scots culture than rules and regulations. We have a Burns tea on a Sunday afternoon instead of a $100-a-head dinner. We don't have a reading circle or a Burns study group or a color guard or a social committee. We do have officers, but that's about it. I'm our group's secretary.

Part of that is also because the average age of our group is, well, pretty old. I'm trying to change that a wee bit with some ideas that might draw younger folks in -- like beer and pub/kilt nights.

There are 50 lines on our membership roster, and a lot of those are married couples and families, but at any given meeting, we probably get 20-30 folks.

Each SAS makes their own rules, and that's cool. Each group knows what they want to get out of it.
    Whilst we do not hold a "$100-a-head" dinner, you're always welcome to come to our Burns Supper in Springfield. I think we're a pretty friendly bunch, regardless of how much we charge for our Burns Supper. We have a colour party that marches in local parades, btw, and we always receive a friendly welcome.

We had to raise our prices this year, and we still had the second biggest turn-out in society history. I think our folks realise you have to pay for quality sometimes, and they do not seem to mind to do so.

As you said, each society has its own customs. We are by no means exclusive in terms of membership and "rules", but we do try to be traditional in terms of the St. Andrew's Society model.

Regards,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Columbia SC Society is like the its Charleston SC Cousin the members ship is TIGHT. you have to be put on a list at birth, and the membership is capped at a certain number. When one member dies than the next one on the list is allowed to join. most wait about 20 30 years till they are full members.