X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csbdr View Post
    Jamie, i don't know if you fish or hunt, but part of the joy is in the hardware, to be honest. I agree with what you are saying in concept (some folks get carried away with modern weaponry), but if the activity is also linked with a wonderful scottish manufacture over-and-under, or 14 foot bamboo Spey rod, i don't see the harm in that and the sports reading the thread would want to see IT as much as the days catch or the scenery.
    csbdr,

If we are talking about scottish manufacture over-and-under shotgun, or 14 foot bamboo Spey rod as part of the overall discussion I personally don't see a problem. But people have to show restraint because there is a world of difference between those and talking about one's Glock and the relative damage different types of ammo inflict.

See where I am coming from?

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Middle Grove, NY. Just outside Saratoga Springs.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I wholeheartedly agree, and those types of discussions have no place here. Policing this may be more work than it's worth, but it might be nice to give it a go and see if the membership can keep the discussion to what is appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    csbdr,

If we are talking about scottish manufacture over-and-under shotgun, or 14 foot bamboo Spey rod as part of the overall discussion I personally don't see a problem. But people have to show restraint because there is a world of difference between those and talking about one's Glock and the relative damage different types of ammo inflict.

See where I am coming from?

Cheers

Jamie

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in total agreement with Steve. I've been thinking for a long time now that we need to make the information much more accessible than simply saying "use the search feature". I appreciate Panache for opening this discussion and for Steve for his thoughtful and focused response.

May I make a small pitch for what I believe should be an incentive for this change? I've been wanting to start this particular discussion for some time and I think this is as good a spot as any....

As I visit other sites (several Facebook kilt groups, the new PanAlba site, etc.) I see the same old questions and answers ad nauseum. You all have seen it thousands of times. A newbie asks "What tartan can I wear" and some "expert" starts talking about protocols and absolute rules. I'm not referring to the "conventions" that are often discussed here by our traditional members...I'm talking about the false notion that there really are hard and fast rules about what you must wear or must not wear. The notion that every clan tartan is ancient, governed by the Lord Lyon, and restricted to card-carrying, Y-chromosome verified clan members is still very widespread...I would daresay it is the most common perception among the general public. We lose sight of that fact because we know better.

And finally here is the point....At this time in our history we must recognize that this situation is more than just an amusing annoyance. If a person really wants to explore their heritage, or really wants to wear a kilt for some other reason, I think they need to be encouraged rather than to feel shut out by the mythic Victorian "rules" that are so commonly repeated at vendors tables, clan tents, poorly researched books, and other internet sites. Times are hard everywhere, and woolen mills, kiltmakers, and others who are invested in the business of Highland attire cannot afford to see potential customers cut off at the knees because some "expert" told them that with their last name, they must wear this tartan and cannot wear that tartan, or that a "real" kilt must contain exactly 8 yards of wool fabric. Global economies are on the ropes, and the survival of the businesses that we depend upon is something that we need to be concerned about. There are obviously non-tartan and district alternatives, but I have personally known a number of potential kilt wearers that gave up on the whole thing because the "rules" seemed insurmountable.

My point is that if we know better, if we know the historical truth that contradicts so many of the popular myths, I believe that we must be as proactive as possible and attempt to at least begin to reverse the tide of misinformation that is so pervasive. Having the suggested tutorials front-and-center, clearly written and authoritative, would go a long way toward this ideal.

I hope that everyone understands what I'm trying to convey. If anything I've said here sounds offensive, please contact me so I can make another attempt to clarify my message. I especially don't want anyone to take this as an "anti-tradition" rant, which it most certainly is not meant to be.
    Kilted Teacher and Wilderness Ranger and proud member of Clan Donald, USA
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.
    New home of Sierra Nevada AND New Belgium breweries!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie,this is interesting and maybe there is an avenue to go down on the sporting way of life in the highlands of Scotland? Are you saying, for the sake of this discussion, that if a picture was shown here with splendid highland scenery, a dead deer on the back of a highland pony, with the stalkers carrying a rifle that would, possibly, be acceptable even now? If asked ,would I be able to mention the make of the rifle and calibre without going into ballistic detail? I am not trying to be cleaver or looking for loop holes, I am trying to see if the sort of thing that I describe is possible? Perhaps I am wrong,but I didn't think that was possible at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That certainly has always been implied, if not stated. At least from my POV.

Then what about similar such things which happen with members of the forum not located in Scotland ?

I'd love to see some pictures of hunting and fishing in Scotland.

I am not all that vocal anywhere on the internet. But I do like this place, and have learned a good bit here. Steve's information suggestions are good too.

Life IS change. It is the nature of our experience as humans.

Middle Grove, NY. Just outside Saratoga Springs.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Jamie,this is interesting and maybe there is an avenue to go down on the sporting way of life in the highlands of Scotland? Are you saying, for the sake of this discussion, that if a picture was shown here with splendid highland scenery, a dead deer on the back of a highland pony, with the stalkers carrying a rifle that would, possibly, be acceptable even now? If asked ,would I be able to mention the make of the rifle and calibre without going into ballistic detail? I am not trying to be cleaver or looking for loop holes, I am trying to see if the sort of thing that I describe is possible? Perhaps I am wrong,but I didn't think that was possible at the moment.
    That's what it sounded like, Jock. I'll wait for jamie's response.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

Obviously Jock I don't have a picture to judge, but your description sounds like something that would pass the muster right now. As I said before it would be preferable to run it by the Moderating Staff before posting it.

I will not speak for the rest of the staff, but I personally do not see the subject of hunting as not family friendly. There are aspects of it that are best not dwelled on as we do assume that children may be reading or looking at images here on XMTS.

As csbdr mentioned policing such might be problematic. Our rules concerning weapons were written with certain exceptions that relate to what our site is about. There are many people that can read our rules and use good judgement and restraint in discussion here. Sadly there are others that can't.

For instance, say you posted a wonderful picture of you resplendent in a tweed bucket hat and traditional Scottish hunting attire with your over and under shotgun broke and tucked under one arm and a brace of grouse in the other hand. You post about your experiences in a traditional Scottish grouse hunt.

Now if I had an interest in the bore, make, and other aspects of your gun I could

(1) Send you a PM with my questions

(2) Openly ask you on the thread and take the whole thing to focus on the firearm leading to a gun discussion where inevitably the whole thing goes south and gets shut down and pulled.

I would of course choose the first option and thus perhaps start an interesting dialogue.

It's tricky.

I sometimes think of XMTS as a big party with a huge number of friends and relatives. There are some subjects that work very well with a large and diverse group. Others are best discussed quietly off to one side with one or two other people.

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 6th March 09 at 03:22 PM. Reason: grammar
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, May we please keep on topic with this thread.

The purpose here is to ask our membership what changes to this site they would like and to suggest ways to improve it.

Let us not let it get sidetracked into discussions of any particular subject or topic.

This is also not the place to ask for rulings from the Mods or Hank on one particular subject or topic.

I'm sure that your questions will be answered. This thread however is not the place for that answer.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright Jamie, thanks for that.I rather fancy that there will be a lot for you to think about on this thread for a while. When things have quietened down I will PM you.Many thanks,Jock

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I can make a suggestion to improve the site and still keep within both the letter and the spirit of the forum rules.

If some one wishes to have other members see photos that would not be within the rules a simple PM to the Duty Mod requesting that they look at an outside link to the photos. If the Mod finds that the photos fit within the rules of family friendly but are possibly gray in the area of Guns then that link would be allowed to be posted as a link only. Not the photos themselves.

An example would be something like......

Hi Rabble, I just got back from my Elk Hunting trip. Here I am in my new Tweed Kilt on the stalk. [img]

If you would like to see other photos of the trip which include the weapons we used, and the elk that we shot you can visit this site.

linky-linky

Please be aware that some photos in the album may be disturbing for some children, some old ladies, and some ancient Kiltmakers.

Thanks for looking

Kilted hunter.

That way no rules are broken, everyone who wishes, gets to show off their hobbies and interests and every one remains friends.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast