X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts or approach would be to keep the whole outfit contemporary. Don't use a sporran, if you feel it should go with the tartan kilts. Don't put it with an Argyle with all the shoulder thingies and cuffs, etc, but use a regular sport jacket either cut down or as is. What ever looks right to you for the look you are creating. I agree that you might go with at least knee-high socks, and regular dress up shoes. It is a contemporary look that I think you are going for, though, so let it flow from that angle.

I'll try to shut up now!!
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As part of the dressing up - I'd make absolutely sure that the kilt is super pressed and crisp!

Like Ofcjax, perhaps put on a dress shirt (preferably sateen or shiny) that matches the kilt's color, add a tie and voila!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done nearly the same - just without the jacket. White shirt, black UK standard, blue tie, blue flashes.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Keeney View Post
    This was my solution to dressing up a utilikilt. Sorry the picture is a bit fuzzy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting how the V-line of snaps on UK matches up with the angled line of chrome buttons on the jacket. . . don't suppose UK planned it that way, do you?
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My solid black Pittsburgh kilt with a button up shirt, tie, and my charcoal argyle jacket, no need for a sporran.

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydnie7 View Post
    Interesting how the V-line of snaps on UK matches up with the angled line of chrome buttons on the jacket. . . don't suppose UK planned it that way, do you?
    I don't know what UK had in mind but I had that in mind when I made the Jacket.

BTW the jacket was made from material from Utilikilts so it would match the mocker.
    Mark Keeney

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan,

I think the key to dressing up a Modern / Contemporary kilt is to remember that it isn't Highland attire, but it can take inspiration from it.

Traditional Kilt hose work well, but I would skip the flashes (just use the garter)

A simple dress jacket could be worn and while it would be best if it were short waisted (or shortened) like a traditional Scottish Highland one I feel one should should avoid the fancy cuffs and buttons. The simple crail style would work best.

The fundamental question to me is "how much can this particular modern kilt be dressed up?" .

Now my one Utilikilt is a Mocker Model, those snaps in the front remind me of the snaps/metal one might find on a pair of jeans.

Now one can wear a sport coat or even a tie with jeans and it can look good.

But it will still be casual wear.

Now I think that Ron is on the right track with the vests

I can see adding some nice hose and brown dress shoes to this ensemble and it being a very smart outfit. A little dressy, but in a relaxed way. With a nice dress shirt with the cuffs rolled up and no tie, nice but informal vest, and hose and dress shoes it is a sporty look.

The secret to dressing up or down is knowing how far a particular garment can stretch. This of course is the advantage of traditional kilts, they can move from full casual to full formal. The modern ones don't have quite the same range and one is best to work with their strengths and limitations.

Just my two cents

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 18th March 09 at 10:28 AM. Reason: grammar
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is quite a timley thread and it saves me creating a new thread. I'm heading to Cyprus with the ATC in two weeks and I plan on being kilted as much as I can with only a few worries. The heat I was told my kilts would be a bad idea beachse it's so hot, but seeing posts from our brethren across the pond I don't think it should worry me. And what to do if I need to dress up my outfit. Now seeing as I have weight limits and slot of compulsery uniform I need to take I think ok only going to take my two UK's (an original and a mocker)both in black, so the point I have a PC how does everyone think the wistcoat would look with a White shirt open collar black hose and either shoes or possibaly boots? It only occoured to me today and I haven't had a chance to get home to see how it looks but I thought I'd see if there were any reasons why I couldn't do it before I get the idea stuck in my head.

Ps if there's a "do" it would be in the evening and semi formal my last camp I turned up in a shirt and jeans with a mesh trilby esq? Hat

Jordan
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae,
    But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best i have been able to pull off with my tan UK mocker is a dressed up casual look. Tie and a nice shirt works well. Solid black seems to lend itself to a casual jacket or vest. Beyond that a I personally think a more traditional kilt is in order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In an ideal world I would have my tank in cooper tartan but the best I would be able to do would be an swk thrifty in blackwatch. I can't really see much need fir mr to dress up most of the time I think I'll be on uniform but im taking my UK's so I'm comfertable in what ever free time I get

Jordan
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae,
    But he kens fine where its goin'.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast