X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lace Jabot

Does anyone have a view on how hot a Montrose Doublet may be, or if a Jabot - splendid though they look - is hard to manage at a dinner? Does the lace get into one's food?

Biathlonman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biathlonman View Post
    Does anyone have a view on how hot a Montrose Doublet may be, or if a Jabot - splendid though they look - is hard to manage at a dinner? Does the lace get into one's food?

Biathlonman
    While I don't own a Montrose (although I'm planning for a dark claret velvet one) I have worn a jacket similar, although Saxon in origin.

The double layer across the body, in conjunction with it being closed at the neck, DOES make it a warmer option than a Sheriffmuir or other "open" jacket.

That said, if you're fit, I think the Montrose is a much more striking cut, as it shows off broad shoulders and a trim waist (something a Sherrifmuir can help hide, if you'd rather camouflage your circumference ).

Can't help you on the jabot, never worn one, but I imagine it would be a magnet for 'soup accidents'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can assure you that No soup Ever goes on my jabot !

If you have doubts, practice with a bowl of milk !

Best,

Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Le 'look'

C'est une photo magnifique, Monsieur! Style exceptionnelle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biathlonman View Post
    C'est une photo magnifique, Monsieur! Style exceptionnel !
    Merci. Thank you.

I'm afraid it's an obsession... but a healthy one, I would say.

Best,

Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much! These photos are very helpful to a newbie like me. Are the diced hose always best in red and white? I saw a red and green pair that I was considering buying for Mark's formal attire. Checks and plaid are not something I would normally consider putting together, but I see that it is frequently done with a kilt. I know Mark would love the white tie look with the jabot and cuff lace!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark's Mom View Post
    Thank you so much! These photos are very helpful to a newbie like me. Are the diced hose always best in red and white? I saw a red and green pair that I was considering buying for Mark's formal attire. Checks and plaid are not something I would normally consider putting together, but I see that it is frequently done with a kilt. I know Mark would love the white tie look with the jabot and cuff lace!
    There are many different designs, and while red and white is popular, to say it is best would be misleading. What IS best is to like what you wear. It doesn't have to match the tartan, but that is always an option. It's not necessary to wear diced hose at that level of dress, but it is generally done that way, and to most folks looks good.

Highland dress is much more "free" in terms of variety and personal taste than is often seen in the formal wear we are used to seeing here in the states. Even that style does leave a lot of room for personal expression, but since the majority of formal clothing (white tie) here is rental, the belief is that it "must be done this way." The same idea appears in highland dress as well, with the rental outlets giving the impression that it must be a black bowtie, Prince Charlie jacket, white hose and ghillie brogues. While this is a safe way to go about it, there are many many options, and one can express his individuality and personal tastes very well in Highland dress. The tuxedos and suits we are used to seeing here are very cookie-cutter. Even the places where personal taste can be shown, such as ties and cumberbuns, it's usually matched up with the lady's dress.

I often joke that Highland dress is more in tune with nature--the male gets to show off his plumage. I'm not the first to say something like that. That is not to say that the lady is overshadowed. Far from it. But there is no reason that the man should look exactly like every other man at the ball, except for a few splashes of color that match his date.

This thread is an excellent example of how to wear a kilt at different levels of dress. There are many other excellent examples as well in other threads.

I'm glad you are taking the time to research this instead of looking at a rental outfit and assuming that that's how it must be done. I wish I had spent some more time researching before my wedding. I look at those pictures and feel as though my wife and I were both modeling for a kilt rental shop and a David's Bridal. Thankfully, unlike a senior prom, we can have a bit of a "do-over" and plan to renew our vows at the same place next year!

Best of luck to you, and I hope your son gets to attend his prom kilted. You are in the right place to find good examples of how to wear it.
    Last edited by Whidbey78; 19th January 11 at 12:02 AM.
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just yesterday scanned some old photos from the 1980s. I noticed that I'm wearing the same kilt (MacDonald Muted from House Of Edgar), so they're suitable to show here.

Here's a photo done for a Highland Outfitter to demonstrate Day Dress. The jacket is a wonderful Harris Tweed bought by a friend's father in the 1940s, which happened to fit me.

And here's my wedding photo.

Lodi, California, U.S.A. (Northern California)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Versatile Wyas of Wearing a kilt.

Gents!

Excelent examples of how versatile and fun kilt -wearing truly is! From "Sporty" to "Elegant High" Dress, you examples are very educational!

Since I do not have photos in separate forms, I am providing similar and additional examples to you vast collection, including Military and Police uniforms. For additional information and to view this one-page collection, please visit: http://www.californiabagpiper.com/photos.html

Cheers,

Rabbi Dr. Raphael Pazo
    Rabbi_Pazo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who knew, the kilt is the male equivalent to our ever versatile "Little Black Dress!"

It's all in the accessories.

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast