X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who does military box pleats?

I'm strongly considering getting a military style full yardage military style boxpleated kilt.

By "full yardage" I mean anything over 7 yards (as we know "8 yard kilts" oftentimes have a bit less).

Who makes such? It would be great if a maker, or a customer, could chime in with information.

I would also want the "high rise", green binding, pleated to the stripe, and a specific stripe centered on the front apron. Either 16oz or the 18oz MOD fabric would be fine. The tartan would be MacKenzie modern.

Thanks!

The back would look more or less like this

and the front apron would have the red stripe centered.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 14th July 17 at 09:48 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seaforth Highlanders

You might get in touch with the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
    https://www.seaforthhighlanders.ca/

there is also this listing
    http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/uniforms/kilts.htm
    Last edited by Taskr; 14th July 17 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added link to Cdn Highland UNits

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that Burnett & Struth, one of our advertisers still does those, and perhaps Steve would do it as well.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seaforth Box Pleat Kilts

Robert MacDonald of West Coast Kilts www.westcoastkilts.com in Vancouver is the Regimental Kilt Maker.
    "All the great things are simple and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honour, duty, mercy, hope." Winston Churchill

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, the kilt in the photo above is just about ready to come apart. it seems that there is no stabilizer built into it or the stabilizer has failed or perhaps someone moved the straps and did not catch the stabilizer when they sewed them back on.
    The apron is being totally distorted.

And I'm sorry but I'm not going to volunteer for this job. Military box pleats are not my favorite. And the only weaver offering 18oz fabric is House of Edgar. Their prices are really high, and their fabric is different that the fabric used back when. It is modern kilt fabric. Worsted Twill weave but not "In the grease" which is why the old kilts feel so heavy and stiff.

The current RRS kilts are made of 16oz fabrics and are machine sewn/hand finished. Black binding and single prong buckles.

Plus I am off to teach at Kilt Kamp next week and I am writing the last chapters of "The Art of Contemporary Kiltmaking" so my calendar is full.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 14th July 17 at 12:50 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John at Keltoi offers military box pleats. Though I understand he is MIA these days (or was the last I heard). He did good work, and was one of the few left who would make them on the open market.

If you're looking for a MacKenzie modern kilt in full high-rise military style, have you considered just buying a vintage one? Oddly enough, the only military kilt I have is exactly that. They used to be quite common. It was always tough finding one short enough for me, but as I recall you're a rather tall fellow. Even if you couldn't find one with enough girth (vintage ones are usually for extremely skinny young soldiers), maybe it could be modified to fit?

Quality-wise, they beat the pants off the modern MoD kilts. It's an extremely heavy kilt. One of the things I really like about it is the internal elastic band that helps keep the pleats organized.

*edited to add: according to the tag in my MoD kilt, it was made by Hector Russell (Highland Industries Ltd.) in 1993. It's tagged as a Kilt No. 2 Q.O.H. (Queen's Own Highlanders, of course). I'm pretty sure they don't advertise making military kilts these days, but it could be worth contacting them and seeing if they would take one on. Just for good old times' sake.

Last edited by Tobus; 14th July 17 at 02:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonnie Heather Greene, advertiser here, offers the military box pleats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Houston Kiltmaker, who advertise here, offers Mackenzie modern in 17oz material. Not sure if they do box pleats. Looks very expensive and you might have import duties and sales tax issues.

Peter

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much everyone!

I've sent an email to Rob MacDonald. Hard to be more qualified than the man who's made kilts for the exact regiment in question (the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada).

I read on his site that he prefers using 16oz Dalgliesh fabric which is fine with me.

Thanks again! Richard
    Last edited by OC Richard; 14th July 17 at 04:15 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    have you considered just buying a vintage one?
    Time was I had a 29" waist and did wear an actual 22oz Canadian military kilt.

But that was 40 years and 70 pounds ago! Them days ain't coming back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast