X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another construction question- and a bit of praise

First off, Nick, this is not a complaint. It is in fact praise. I would like to say that my first experience with your company was excellent and I love my kilt. It's not at all what I expected, though, which is the purpose of this post.

So- to the point. I ordered a 5 yard Balmoral in the Colorado state tartan (which looks beautiful by the way- please thank your weavers for me.) I also have a 5 yard USAK kilt. The USA Kilt... uh... kilt... ( ) is constructed with much deeper pleats, and feels much more like a traditional kilt. Why does the Balmoral use such shallow pleats on the 5 yarder? (Again, this is not a complaint- I actually really like the way it lays and moves. It's swing is almost as nice the USAK, and it's not as warm- which this summer will be a bonus for sure.) So given the fact that the USA Kilts 5 yarders have a more traditional look and feel, why would you not make your the same? Is there some advantage? Or is it just your signature style?

Again, thanks for the great service. I got my kilt 2 weeks early, and the communication with your staff was very good. I will certainly be coming to you again in the not too distant future- if the economy here ever picks up and I start getting a decent amount of work again... But wish us all luck on that front!
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nighthawk - what is the size difference in the setts on the two tartans?

Regards,
    Rex.
    At any moment you must be prepared to give up who you are today for who you could become tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nighthawk,

Basically yes, we consider these two different styles. We don't see the 5 yard casual kilt as being an economy version of a 'proper' kilt but rather as a more easily wearable garment for informal use... much as you describe.

I can't easily comment on the pleating depth without seeing the USAK version side by side as you do. But I'm guessing that Rex's question may hold the clue. Are the sett sizes the same? The number and depth of pleats mostly flows from that, with the kiltmaker working out the optimum way to pleat for a particular tartan. In the end, if it's described as 5 yards, you should have ended up with (roughly) that amount of fabric in both.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick (Scotweb) View Post
    Hi Nighthawk,

Basically yes, we consider these two different styles. We don't see the 5 yard casual kilt as being an economy version of a 'proper' kilt but rather as a more easily wearable garment for informal use... much as you describe.

I can't easily comment on the pleating depth without seeing the USAK version side by side as you do. But I'm guessing that Rex's question may hold the clue. Are the sett sizes the same? The number and depth of pleats mostly flows from that, with the kiltmaker working out the optimum way to pleat for a particular tartan. In the end, if it's described as 5 yards, you should have ended up with (roughly) that amount of fabric in both.
    I have no idea on the sett size. That does make sense, though. Thanks!
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.