X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bonnet Flash from Tartan Swatch?

Any ideas?

* Picture removed. *

I have a swatch of my tartan fabric that I would like to use, in combination with a lapel pin, as a bonnet flash, and possibly still as a lapel pin sometimes. The swatch has a usable rectangular part that measures four inches by two and a half inches. The pin is one inch by a half inch. In the picture, a piece of the "L" shaped swatch is folded back behind the usable part.

I have been given measurements for a bonnet flash in another thread, but I would like to see what others think.
    And thanks to DWFII for providing those measurements of his bonnet flash for reference.
    Last edited by Bugbear; 4th April 09 at 08:46 PM.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Crocker View Post
    I have been given measurements for a bonnet flash in another thread, but I would like to see what others think.
    And thanks to DWFII for providing those measurements of his bonnet flash for reference.
    Actually, I cut a piece of tartan 3" x 2-3/4". I did a zig-zag stitch along each side about a quarter inch in from the edge. Then I frayed each edge just by pulling threads parallel to the edge.

That's it! Hand sew the flash onto your bonnet and put a pin through it. You could even just pin it to the bonnet if the pin was big enough...could have interchangeable flashes if you have more than one tartan
    DWFII--Traditionalist and Auld Crabbit
    In the Highlands of Central Oregon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, DWFII.

Secretly, it would be a hat pin or worn in some other way because I don't have a bonnet yet. ith: I wouldn't be wearing it with a tartan kilt because I don't have a kilt in that tartan yet... So it might end up as a kilt pin on one of those kilts

But it would be nice to wear a little of my tartan etc. Perhaps I could turn a piece into a watch fob...
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All right, I cut the swatch into a strait rectangle, then I folded over about a half inch of the fabric at the topand held that back with the safetypin I use to pin it to something. The paw pin is centered between the sides and more toward the top; hopefully over the stripes on the swatch.

All the sides are fringed, though the top is folded back. It is still two and a half inches wide, and is three and a half inches long with the top folded back. I could trim that top, it is slightly uneven on one corner.

I could pink the bottom edge, or knotch it like a garter flash, or even fold it into several different tartan origami shapes. For now it is a rectangle, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a small swash from my Clan Claus Kilt on my Red Bonnet and I think it looks great, no matter which kilt I have on. I do switch out Bonnet pins too,
    sometimes using my clan (Lion Rampant) for the Reindeer Believe Bonnit pin
    from my Clan Claus.
    I don't believe the idea is to arrive in heaven in a well preserved body! But to slide in side ways,Kilt A' Fly'n! Scream'en "Mon Wha A Ride" Kilted Santas
    4th Laird of Lochaber, Knights of St Andrew,Knight of The Double Eagle
    Clan Seton,House of Gordon,Clan Claus,Semper Fedilas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, for now the swatch and the bear paw pin are going in the drawer. I'm not sure this idea will work. I thought maybe this could take the place of a clan badge, which I do not have, but probably not. I will probably wear the pin on it's own, but not with a kilt; those have gone in the closet for a while.

I guess there are no other ideas on this.