X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synthetic/Normal Horsehair Sporrans

Ok, I'm sure there are millions of threads like this, but, I'll ask anyway.

I'm wanting to buy a horsehair sporran, but the costs are just too much to bear on my budget. Therefore, I'm considering synthetic horsehair (unless I manage to find a good deal on eBay for a regular one).

So, before I even go so far as to look for one, I want to know:
    Are they any good?
    Now, if you're just going to say something like "they're horrible. buy a real one,"
    please, don't post; comments like that just aren't helpful.

I'm trying to figure out the difference between them in their texture and practicality. How are they on maintenance?

I appreciate your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't go that way if you can avoid it. I saw some synthetic horsehair sporrans at a local shop here the other day, and for some reason they reminded me of the fake musical instruments I got for Christmas one year when I was a tot. To my eye, they looked not the least bit real, poorly constructed, and beyond cheesy.

Sorry - that was pretty close to what you asked not to hear.

YMMV,
    Rex.
    At any moment you must be prepared to give up who you are today for who you could become tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much the same here, I saw both for sale recently at the Highland games, from a distance both looked grand, once you get up close the difference become very pronounced.

They $$$$$$$ is greatly pronounced also. I too agree you may be far more pleased saving your pennies and get the real one, it will last longer and I sure your pride in it will be well worth the wait and $$$$$$$.
    I don't believe the idea is to arrive in heaven in a well preserved body! But to slide in side ways,Kilt A' Fly'n! Scream'en "Mon Wha A Ride" Kilted Santas
    4th Laird of Lochaber, Knights of St Andrew,Knight of The Double Eagle
    Clan Seton,House of Gordon,Clan Claus,Semper Fedilas

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently ShawHighlander and Matt Newsome have both posted photos of themselves wearing antique Horshair Sporrans to my eye these are the way to go, notice I said antique? A real Horsehair sporran will of course cost more than a synthetic one, however it will look better at close inspection, feel better and on top of all that become a family heirloom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two main problems with synthetic horse hair sporrans. The first is their size; most are too short and look like an albino whisk broom when worn. The second problem is static build-up which causes the synthetic "hairs" to want to stand up and separate from one another, giving it the cheesy look of a worn out albino whisk broom.

In terms of texture and maintenance the horsehair sporran is far more luxurious looking (as is angora), although it might require a bit more care. They can be carefully hand washed in cool water and patted dry, although with antiques you have to be careful not to get the bag too wet. I suppose the big difference comes down to you-- if you take care of your things, like polishing your shoes, then a real hair sporran (goat or horse) is the only way to go. If, on the other hand, you buy Corfam shoes so you don't have to worry about polishing them-- well you will probably be willing to accept the short comings of a synthetic sporran.

My advice would be to save up the bucks and look for an antique horse hair or goat hair sporran. In the long run, I think, you will be far, far happier.
    Last edited by MacMillan of Rathdown; 7th April 09 at 08:59 AM.

Colonel MacNeal is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Arlington, Texas (land of the bluebonnets)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post
    There are two main problems with synthetic hose hair sporrans. The first is their size; most are too short and look like an albino whisk broom when worn. The second problem is static build-up which causes the synthetic "hairs" to want to stand up and separate from one another, giving it the cheesy look of a worn out albino whisk broom.

My advice would be to save up the bucks and look for an antique horsehair or goat hair sporran. In the long run you will be far, far happier.
    Check your typo - it is hilarious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fixed it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All,

I've not seen a horse hair sporran close-up, so I am wondering how they are constructed. I am guessing that we are not talking about the hairy skin from the tail or neck of a horse. Are the individual hairs knotted onto 'something' which is attached to the front of the sporran and if so, is it one strip or many?

I really don't know, what I don't know, so I am struggling to ask the right questions. Any chance of a close-up picture from someone showing the construction?

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Hello All,

I've not seen a horse hair sporran close-up, so I am wondering how they are constructed. I am guessing that we are not talking about the hairy skin from the tail or neck of a horse. Are the individual hairs knotted onto 'something' which is attached to the front of the sporran and if so, is it one strip or many?

I really don't know, what I don't know, so I am struggling to ask the right questions. Any chance of a close-up picture from someone showing the construction?

Regards

Chas

Here is a link to Shaw Highlanders thread with the Horsehair sporran
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/a...x.html?t=46562

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Glen,

Thanks for the link. What I am seeing is the horse hair hanging down the front of the sporran as a kind of curtain - does that sound right? If that is right, there must be tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of individual hairs - no wonder they cost so much!

Regards

Chas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast