X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmiller View Post
    Thanks guys, nice photo! Was it quiet enough so you guys could talk or was it loud?
    You could carry on a conversation. I like this location for that reason. The one in Columbus, OH was the same. This location has more of a restaurant atmosphere. Other locations such as The Pub Beavercreek (Dayton) and The Pub Polaris (Columbus, OH) tend to have more of a pub atmosphere with more people and noise. Each location has its advantages and disadvantages. That is why it is nice to move around for a change of atmosphere.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Dayton View Post
    You could carry on a conversation. The one in Columbus, OH was the same.
    Unless it's the day before a home Columbus Crew game, or day of a game (home or away). In those circumstances, expect the back bar area (at a minimum) to be chock full of singing drunks. I might even be one of them (in fact, this past Saturday I was going to go there to watch the match against Toronto FC, and make it my first time kilted in public, until I came down with a cold). Happy drunks or angry drunks depends on how the game is going, if it's gameday. If it's the day before a homegame and they're having a party (the manager is a huge Crew fan), then it's almost certainly a bunch of happy drunks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike,
    Remember the place we had our Burn's Supper at in Dublin? I like that kind of place, they had good food, good drinks and we could all hear each other across the table.

The bar that we went to afterward was loud, didn't have any seats and was crawling with drunks. While I certainly appreciated the waitresses in their kilted skirts, I just had to get out of there --

I also like Celtic music -- so if you know of anything that fits the bill that would also interest out other Ohio brothers, let's start setting it up......
    -john

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dublin is a bit out of the way for Cin-Day. I think that was part of why Cin-Day split off of Columbus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, John, that was Digger & Finch at the Dublin golf course. It is nice to be able to carry on a conversation. The Pub afterwards worked out well as we had the best of both situations. I think the Pub-Polaris is more lively than the one out my way in Beavercreek. Just depends on the staff I guess.

Columbus is a bit of a travel for those in Dayton and even more so for those in Cincinnati. I don't mind making the trip but I guess the extra 90 miles one-way is not much for me considering I drive 20,000 miles a year now for some reason anyway. And no those are not all kilt night trips to Columbus.

We have more participants in all three locations now so we should be able to support multiple Kilt Nights such that there is at least one that is favorable for those interested. Once a quarter would be nice for dinner. More local maybe once a month for the bar situation.

It is time to have another Kilt Night in Columbus. We need the Captain to update us on his travels.

As for the last Kilt Night in Mason the driving force for that one was Rex got a new Kilt. We also had a couple of new guys show up on BOTK in the Dayton area so I thought putting it in Mason would draw Rex from Cincinnati and maybe be near enough to draw the new guys out of Dayton. Turned out we had three new attendees from Dayton and points north.

The month of May, at least for Saturday night, is shot for me. There is one weekend in June I know I will be unavailable and that is the 13th (or what ever weekend is near the 13th).

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Dayton View Post
    Columbus is a bit of a travel for those in Dayton and even more so for those in Cincinnati.
    Maybe we should take over the hotel restaurant at Jeffersonville sometime.

As for the last Kilt Night in Mason the driving force for that one was Rex got a new Kilt.
    Was THAT the reason? Good heavens! I wore the wrong kilt! I had no idea!

Regards,
    Rex.
    At any moment you must be prepared to give up who you are today for who you could become tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its ok. I am hourly flipping on if I am going to pull the trigger for that USAKilt ....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Tremende View Post

Was THAT the reason? Good heavens! I wore the wrong kilt! I had no idea!

Regards,
    Rex.
    And I forgot all about the new kilt that night. Did not think of it until a few days later.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys,
    Columbus would be fine, but I don't mind driving West for a kilt night either. Dayton is closer to me than Cinn.

My main concern was being able to talk to each other across the table and perhaps having some Celtic music to boot. Beyond that all I need is some decent ale to drink...
    -john

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345