X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted Nova Scotian's

I'm originally from Nova Scotia (born and raised, but went to University outside of my home province). You will see kilts there often, but not every day. I agree, that kilts aren't a big deal there, as they are seen frequently; and most people there have some sort of Scottish Heritage (just check out any phone book). You won't see them every day, but Kilts most often make their appearances at weddings, military functions (I don't think I've ever been to a Remembrance Day service back home when there weren't a few kilts), parties, any waterfronts (usually pipers are found), summer festivals (unique to different rural communities) and certain drinking and eating establishments. Kilt sightings are a common occurrence, most often in Halifax (since the most people are there....but also in Pictou County (Where the first Scottish Immigrants landed and settled in 1773, off the ship Hector in Pictou. Also the Highland Games in Antigonish), Cape Breton (Chestico days in Port Hood, for example), and other communities. I know many people with kilts, but they are just not worn every day. So I'd say that Nova Scotian's/Blue Nose's don't feel the need to connect with other kilted people (because they are everywhere). I'll be getting married next year, and I'd estimate that there will be 10 of my guests in different kilts; most male guests will not be kilted however. I guess that is ok if they don't want to look as good as classy as the rest of us fellas. One thing I will say though, is that I've never seen a Utilikilt, as the kilts seen there are of the traditional modern styles (I've also never seen a great kilt, probably because it is way too much work). I'm sure you'll fit in nicely though.

Ciad mile failte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted Nova Scotian's

Whoops, posted twice
    Last edited by lasrl; 29th July 09 at 05:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome to the board!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone tell me more about Nova Scotia in September? We're booked a flight to NS to do some ancestor looking and to just enjoy N.S. and N.B.
    Past President, St. Andrew's Society of the Inland Northwest
    Member, Royal Scottish Country Dance Society
    Founding Member, Celtic Music Spokane
    Member, Royal Photographic Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltman View Post
    Can anyone tell me more about Nova Scotia in September? We're booked a flight to NS to do some ancestor looking and to just enjoy N.S. and N.B.
    This site might help you get started.

Frank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ancestor Looking

Quote Originally Posted by Kiltman View Post
    You need to go to Pictou, N.S., in Pictou County. There you will find the Hector Heritage Quay.

http://www.townofpictou.ca/hector_heritage_quay.html

Ciad mile failte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up in Nova Scotia...and i highly recommend touring around the entire province if you can. From making your way down the Annapolis Valley....all the way to the other end touring around the highlands of Cape Breton.
    Being on the eastern coast....there is just so much heritage to check out and explore because it's the first place immigrants landed on their way to the new world.
    the French "fortress of Louisburg" is an amazing site to behold. Eating German food on the South shore near Lunenburg is great.....it's all good.
    PM me when you arrive....i am on Prince Edward Island...but I make it home quite frequently....i'd love to get together for a beer!

On the most beautiful island in North America
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your coming to Nova Scotia, don't forget to make a trip to Cape Breton.. It was voted #1 the most beautiful Island in North America, and 3rd in the world, by Travel and Leisure Magazine. We got a few kilters around this time of year , not so many in the winter time. lol. If ya want some info on Cape Breton Island visit my site http://www.travelcapebretonisland.com/
    Welcome to the East Coast

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Cloves offer of getting together. There's some great pubs in Halifax.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cape Breton Kilter View Post
    If your coming to Nova Scotia, don't forget to make a trip to Cape Breton.. It was voted #1 the most beautiful Island in North America, and 3rd in the world, by Travel and Leisure Magazine. We got a few kilters around this time of year , not so many in the winter time. lol. If ya want some info on Cape Breton Island visit my site http://www.travelcapebretonisland.com/
    Welcome to the East Coast
    I just had a quick look at your website... looks fantastic. I'm going to give the site a more careful look-see as soon as I get the chance.

Cheers,
    Rick

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast