X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People of the Pleats in N.S.

Greetings folks,
    I have been watching this space for some time now, and I am surprised and disappointed that there have been no attempts by the good folks of Nova Scotia (New Scotland) to form a kilted gathering of some sort.

There is a fairly good possibility that I will be moving to your fair province, possibly this year, and I was hoping to make some connections.

So come on lads... tell me I will not be the only man walking the streets and haunting the pubs in a kilt!

Cheers,
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there even a member from Nova Scotia on XMTS? Despite the strong Celtic (especially Gaelic) heritage of the Canadian Maritimes, it seems we don't have many members from there. I wonder why?
    [B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]John Hart[/COLOR]
    Owner/Kiltmaker - Keltoi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slohairt View Post
    Is there even a member from Nova Scotia on XMTS?
    ummmm, hello?

Count me in on any gathering and if possible I might be able to scrounge up a highland dancer or two for a treat.

I'm a CFA from Ontario, but I've not lived there since 1985. I've lived in Newfoundland before settling here. Halifax is very different than the hustle and bustle of Hamilton where I grew up, but the people are friendlier! And it's not flat.

If you're coming out this way in the summer, be sure to PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I know of at least one gent from the Halifax area, but I would like to know if there are any others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in the Canadian maritimes.....Charlottetown, PEI......but I'm no lad....so if you don't mind a kilted lass.....then count me in!

I think one of the reasons there aren't many folks from these parts on xmarks is because kilts are a bit of a non issue here. Sounds funny i know.
    It would seem though that most of the folks on board are American (not that there's anything wrong with that!)
    I think kilt wearing might be more of a big deal to them (again I'm really generalizing here) because it's simply less common. So they seek each other out.
    I see random kilties around here every once in awhile and nobody bats an eye seeing a dude in tartan.
    Being female however is a whole other story....so that's one reason i found xmarks...looking for a few other female kilties.
    Luckily I found some!!!

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cloves View Post
    I think one of the reasons there aren't many folks from these parts on xmarks is because kilts are a bit of a non issue here. Sounds funny i know.
    It would seem though that most of the folks on board are American (not that there's anything wrong with that!)
    I think kilt wearing might be more of a big deal to them (again I'm really generalizing here) because it's simply less common. So they seek each other out.
    I see random kilties around here every once in awhile and nobody bats an eye seeing a dude in tartan.
    Sounds like Nova Scotia is very much like its namesake then. Not too many kilties over here either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Count me in. Also there are quite a few kilts running around Nova Scotia.

Frank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was born in Halifax in 1963 - Dad was in the navy.

I left in 1964 - Dad got kicked out of the navy.

Visited in 2000, and will return, but not, I think, to reside there.

From Canada's other coast.......
    Ron Stewart
    'S e ar roghainn a th' ann - - - It is our choices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great idea, Uncle Ricky, to move to Nova Scotia. Since discovering it six years ago and getting a home in Digby County, it is really a wonderful place. So friendly and welcoming; superb scenery and fascinating history. So peaceful and quiet compared with south east England! Sadly, only get there twice a year for a few weeks, but encourage others to visit and use our home. An Ontario couple stayed six months last year prior to buying a house in the village.
    I shall be there again next month with a Utilikilt and Nova Scotia tartan Sportkilt.
    I have seen some kilts in Halifax but none in Pictou/New Glasgow area or Cape Breton.
    Two years ago we were present in Annapolis Royal when there was a good kilted contingent as well as pipe band and dancers for the unveiling of a new memorial for the first Scottish settlement called Charlesfort in 1629.
    Hope you make the move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chapmanredbourn View Post
    A great idea, Uncle Ricky, to move to Nova Scotia. Since discovering it six years ago and getting a home in Digby County, it is really a wonderful place.
    Greetings Chapmanredbourn,

My wife and I are considering the Halifax area at this point. Digby is a bit remote for our needs. My wife wants to continue with university, and I need to run a house painting business. Would Digby support that?

Cheers,
    Rick

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast