X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People of the Pleats in N.S.

Greetings folks,
    I have been watching this space for some time now, and I am surprised and disappointed that there have been no attempts by the good folks of Nova Scotia (New Scotland) to form a kilted gathering of some sort.

There is a fairly good possibility that I will be moving to your fair province, possibly this year, and I was hoping to make some connections.

So come on lads... tell me I will not be the only man walking the streets and haunting the pubs in a kilt!

Cheers,
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there even a member from Nova Scotia on XMTS? Despite the strong Celtic (especially Gaelic) heritage of the Canadian Maritimes, it seems we don't have many members from there. I wonder why?
    [B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]John Hart[/COLOR]
    Owner/Kiltmaker - Keltoi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I know of at least one gent from the Halifax area, but I would like to know if there are any others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in the Canadian maritimes.....Charlottetown, PEI......but I'm no lad....so if you don't mind a kilted lass.....then count me in!

I think one of the reasons there aren't many folks from these parts on xmarks is because kilts are a bit of a non issue here. Sounds funny i know.
    It would seem though that most of the folks on board are American (not that there's anything wrong with that!)
    I think kilt wearing might be more of a big deal to them (again I'm really generalizing here) because it's simply less common. So they seek each other out.
    I see random kilties around here every once in awhile and nobody bats an eye seeing a dude in tartan.
    Being female however is a whole other story....so that's one reason i found xmarks...looking for a few other female kilties.
    Luckily I found some!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great idea, Uncle Ricky, to move to Nova Scotia. Since discovering it six years ago and getting a home in Digby County, it is really a wonderful place. So friendly and welcoming; superb scenery and fascinating history. So peaceful and quiet compared with south east England! Sadly, only get there twice a year for a few weeks, but encourage others to visit and use our home. An Ontario couple stayed six months last year prior to buying a house in the village.
    I shall be there again next month with a Utilikilt and Nova Scotia tartan Sportkilt.
    I have seen some kilts in Halifax but none in Pictou/New Glasgow area or Cape Breton.
    Two years ago we were present in Annapolis Royal when there was a good kilted contingent as well as pipe band and dancers for the unveiling of a new memorial for the first Scottish settlement called Charlesfort in 1629.
    Hope you make the move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chapmanredbourn View Post
    A great idea, Uncle Ricky, to move to Nova Scotia. Since discovering it six years ago and getting a home in Digby County, it is really a wonderful place.
    Greetings Chapmanredbourn,

My wife and I are considering the Halifax area at this point. Digby is a bit remote for our needs. My wife wants to continue with university, and I need to run a house painting business. Would Digby support that?

Cheers,
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hallo Rick
    Lots of 'Come from Aways' are running businesses around Digby/Annapolis but it is not a wealthy area so wages and prices are not what you would expect in Ontario or Halifax, but, as many are finding, quality of life more than makes up for that. The nearest university is at Wolfville.
    There are kilting opportunities, although I have never been there at the right times, namely Burns Night celebrations and Highland Games in September in connection with the Wharf Rat Rally in Digby.
    Have a look at the local web-sites: www.annapolisdigby.com; www.digby.ca; annapolisroyal.com.
    Whatever you decide, I hope it will be a great success.

Brian

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cloves View Post
    I think one of the reasons there aren't many folks from these parts on xmarks is because kilts are a bit of a non issue here. Sounds funny i know.
    It would seem though that most of the folks on board are American (not that there's anything wrong with that!)
    I think kilt wearing might be more of a big deal to them (again I'm really generalizing here) because it's simply less common. So they seek each other out.
    I see random kilties around here every once in awhile and nobody bats an eye seeing a dude in tartan.
    Sounds like Nova Scotia is very much like its namesake then. Not too many kilties over here either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Count me in. Also there are quite a few kilts running around Nova Scotia.

Frank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was born in Halifax in 1963 - Dad was in the navy.

I left in 1964 - Dad got kicked out of the navy.

Visited in 2000, and will return, but not, I think, to reside there.

From Canada's other coast.......
    Ron Stewart
    'S e ar roghainn a th' ann - - - It is our choices

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast