X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meg O' Malleys...

Correction, they have become more bagpipe friendly. I think the attitude against pipers may have been more associated with certain pipers or certain managers.

----
    Original Post:

...is not bagpipe friendly.

One of our local pipers was informed that pipers will no longer be playing impromptu (which a lot of us did for FREE, for fun, after asking the bartender... the sign says "pipers check your pipes with the barman") at Meg O' Malleys. Apparently bagpipes are only appropriate on St. Patrick's day.
    Last edited by george7; 14th July 09 at 07:24 AM.
    Airman. Piper. Scholar. - Avatar: MacGregor Tartan
    “KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.” - Ambrose Gwinett Bierce
    www.melbournepipesanddrums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And just where might this poor misguided establishment be?????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Melbourne, FL
    “KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.” - Ambrose Gwinett Bierce

JS Sanders is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would make it my mission in life to see that no piper would be willing to perform there on St Paddy's. Barbarians.

On the other hand, management in bars/pubs changes suddenly and sometimes often. The next manager may not be so obstinant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George it looks as though I will have to make a trip over to say hello to you and we will have to drop by this so called PUB and check out the situation.
    I don't believe the idea is to arrive in heaven in a well preserved body! But to slide in side ways,Kilt A' Fly'n! Scream'en "Mon Wha A Ride" Kilted Santas
    4th Laird of Lochaber, Knights of St Andrew,Knight of The Double Eagle
    Clan Seton,House of Gordon,Clan Claus,Semper Fedilas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So no pipes inside? What you need is a gathering of pipers OUTSIDE!
    "A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it." anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard this morning that they are under new management. It seems that they're more restaurateurs than pub people. They had been a great place to play bagpipes since they opened. As far as playing outside, there is Main Street pub down a block. They seem to be very piper friendly, even though they are of no particular genre.

Retired Forum Moderator Chairman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a kilt night April 3 at a place we have been going to for two years. That night was the first time the management had received a complaint from any of the other customers.

The manager let us know when the major complainent left and the pipes were struck up again. The third tune in the set was the Marine Corps Hymn. More than 8 diners in the restaurant got to their feet and stood to attention for the hymn. Complaints put to bed!

Brian

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disgustingly unbelievable. I have yet to figure out what's worse: a bar for a bar's sake (usually overflowing with obnoxious, inebriated youngin's) or a "pub" that's really a bar at heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott West View Post
    Disgustingly unbelievable. I have yet to figure out what's worse: a bar for a bar's sake (usually overflowing with obnoxious, inebriated youngin's) or a "pub" that's really a bar at heart.
    Scott, have you tried O'Brothers? I've played there three times. Once as a gig and twice just to spark up some fun. It's in Five Points, next to Mossfire.

Jacksonville is my home away from home. We had a kilt night there about 6 weeks ago. BatlRatl and some of my friends from the Guard showed up.