X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Games of the Season Marks...and last Games Marks

I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we put up our marks for our FIRST Games of the season, and then our LAST Games of the season, and compare them.

So my first Games was this past Sunday, Woodland, and here's how it went...

I took 2nd in the Master 50-54, out of a field of 6 and probably was 5th in the combined 50 - 59, with 13 guys.

Braemar Stone: 23' 3.5" (my typical distance with this 22 lb stone)
    Open stone: 27' 7" (darnit...wanted to break 30)
    Light Hammer: 77' 9.5" (acceptable, not great)
    Heavy Hammer: 63' 6" (pretty good, I usually throw 61-62's, PR is 65 and change)
    Heavy Weight for Distance: about 26 I think, I'll have to doublecheck.
    Light Weight for Distance: 39' 5" ARRRRGH
    WOB: 12 feet... (I *allllmost* had 13, the last inch of the handle nicked the bar on the way over, on my first toss.)
    Caber: didn't turn "the Lion"...17 footer, about 80 pounds and almost no taper. In fact, only one guy turned it yesterday, and only one of the B's turned it, as well.

I also **puffs out chest here*** placed second in the Haggis Hurl on Sunday with a MONSTER heave of 97 feet! But MAN oh man were my quads sore Sunday night. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive home from the Games and when I got out of the car at home I could barely MOVE!

I've done almost no practice in the HWFD for a month because of the knee, so that kind of stunk up the field. That 39 foot toss in the LWFD is not bad, I always hope for 40 and want more like 43 by the end of the season, but 39 is acceptable for the first Games of the season and coming of a month of little practice. What was annoying as all get out was that I could not put together another decent toss in the LWFD. I just "thought" myself into a knot, was all over the trig and had no balance.

Stones continue to stink. I seriously need more coaching on the stones, I'm doing something terribly wrong..

I actually feel fine about my hammers, and I seem to have overcome the upsie-downsies in the WOB; where the weight goes straight up and comes straight down.....but not over the bar. So while I would have like to see 13, I know I'm close, I'd have cleared 12' 6", easily.

I have three cabers on our practice field, now.

The Newbie: 11' 8" and about 55 pounds
    The Intermediate: 14' and about 70 pounds with lots of taper (more or less)
    The Cardinal: (painted Stanford colors, red and white) 15 feet, about 80 - 85 pounds, I'd guess and minimal taper.

I need to spend more time with The Cardinal.
    Last edited by Alan H; 27th April 09 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the stones... Hang out at a local HS and talk to the Track & Field Coach. What you need is to work with a Shot putter. Trust me... I know it works. (former Shot Putter). You need to make sure that you follow thru with your throws. Legs play a big part too, dont forget to use them. Your non-throwing arm is just as important as your throwing arms. and Always look up and out as you throw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    Stones continue to stink. I seriously need more coaching on the stones, I'm doing something terribly wrong..
    Google "Shot put drills" and check out the links that come up. There are some good drills at everythingtrackandfield.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan hanging out with the cardinal is probably what is cursing you. Try painting a caber UCLA blue & gold.
    LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeLV View Post
    For the stones... Hang out at a local HS and talk to the Track & Field Coach. What you need is to work with a Shot putter. Trust me... I know it works. (former Shot Putter). You need to make sure that you follow thru with your throws. Legs play a big part too, dont forget to use them. Your non-throwing arm is just as important as your throwing arms. and Always look up and out as you throw.
    I just pinged Michaela Wallerstedt, who is Stanfords top womens shotputter right now. I know her coach will kill her if she picks up a Highland implement during her senior season, but maybe she'll come down some evening and hang out with a couple of us and give pointers. Then again, since I just e-mailed her totally out of the blue, maybe she'll think I'm a freak.

I have that effect on women...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan,

Downright respectable man! Especially for a gentleman of err umm our age ;-)

My first games are this weekend in Knoxville. My knee still isn't close to being 'back' after the surgery so full-on spins in WFD are still out of the question. My hams are still tighter than a drum--must be old age, but what the heck. My goals are to just grip-it-and-rip-it and enjoy the rabble and my time with my family who live in Knoxville.

I'll post the numbers as soon as I'm no longer to sore to type after the weekend!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well whaddya know!!!! ?

I finally checked my numbers for Knoxville and compared them to what I was doing last season. I SET 4 PR'S at my FIRST games of the season!!!!! Ahhh--still some gas left in the old man's tank ;-)

Set PR's in Open stone, Breamar (and it was a 24 not a 22 pounder), HWFD, Heavy Hammer and Light Hammer!

Hmmmphf! Go figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan sounds if you had a pretty good games, love the idea of this thread. I am moving to So. Ca. in about a week and I figure it will take me a couple of weeks to settle in then will be looking for training partners and getting ready for some California games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitpete View Post
    Well whaddya know!!!! ?

I finally checked my numbers for Knoxville and compared them to what I was doing last season. I SET 4 PR'S at my FIRST games of the season!!!!! Ahhh--still some gas left in the old man's tank ;-)

Set PR's in Open stone, Breamar (and it was a 24 not a 22 pounder), HWFD, Heavy Hammer and Light Hammer!

Hmmmphf! Go figure.
    Now, THAT is a good day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya' know--never even occured to me to check my numbers until I got back. I was just focused on doing my best for the first of the year. My wife was the one who walked up to me after the stones and said she thought I PR'd both. I go again this weekend. Still just going to focus on form and let the numbers take care of themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast