X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's in your glass and what's in your pipe?

About a year ago, we had a very interesting thread on pipe smoking- it even seemed to generate the movement of some pipes across the US and maybe around the world.

Well, I'm just an occasional pipe smoker. If the evening is cool, and the dogs need to run off some energy, I'll sit out back and watch them chase lawn moths in the dimming light, and occasionally I'll toss a ball at them. And in between all that sometimes I'll get to thinking, sometimes I don't think at all.

But one think I keep thinking is - When others are smoking their pipes, what is their drink of choice. And I realize this may be dependent on the tobacco that is being smoked. For instance, one of my favorites is Frog Morton and that seems to go very well with red wine- like Pinot Noir.

I am sure there are some better combinations (and then we can talk foods!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing is in my glass, nothing is in my pipe. I don't smoke or drink, and try to avoid people who do.

It's nice being able to run with the dogs, rather than to be out of breath from smoking, and only able to sit and watch them.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gilmore View Post
    Nothing is in my glass, nothing is in my pipe. I don't smoke or drink, and try to avoid people who do.
    Then why respond to the thread?

Far more diplomatic and poetic would be to respond...

Green tea fills my cup
    and warms my hands
    the air is all I need to inhale

It certainly would be more pleasant

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch! Not the direction I intended!

Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post

Green tea fills my cup
    and warms my hands
    the air is all I need to inhale

Jamie, I reworked your wee poem into a poor haiku-

Green tea fills my cup,
    Warms my hands, and air
    My only inhale

Not my intention to stir contention, I just want to say- I don't sit breathless to watch my dogs play. I run with one almost twice a day, another once a day, and take the three little ones on a half mile walk. My avatar is a picture on myself at the top of Thundrbird Mtn. with two of the puppies in tow. I practice Aikido- a very vigorous martial art, and can't remember the last time I was breathless unless it was when hiking at higher elevations or looking at the splendor of the night sky when camping. Well, looking at the beauty of my children and my wife will sometimes leave me breathless as well.
    Regards,

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a wee dram of Laphraig left, and I'm heading out to get more. (I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed that really peatie taste.) It's way too peatie for the novice, but I have come to really love it.)

I can't smoke any more since that little heart thing, but I did get all of my life's quota and most of someone else's in before I died. When I did smoke, I used to buy plain old cheap stuff off the rack mostly. But I did buy some really good blends quite often.

I prefered either an old church warden pipe I'd been given, (Ialso had a clay churchwarden pipe, too, that smoked very well), a full bend meershaum (the best!), a nice full bend Peterson, and a big ole calabash like Sherlock Holmes's. (I refuse to discuss the details of Holmes's pipe smoking; if it was good enough for Basil Rathbone, it was good enough for me. )

I wouldn't dare smoke a pipe now, even though cigarettes were my drug of choice. I was really badly addicted. You know the very true advice: one is too much and a boat load would not be enough.

But Lord how I did love a good pipe on the evening by the fire.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laphroig Quarter Cask is my current favourite...good, good stuff.

I don't smoke anymore but when I did I smoked Balkan Sobrannie.
    DWFII--Traditionalist and Auld Crabbit
    In the Highlands of Central Oregon

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sionnach View Post
    . . .Not my intention to stir contention, I just want to say- I don't sit breathless to watch my dogs play. I run with one almost twice a day, another once a day, and take the three little ones on a half mile walk. My avatar is a picture on myself at the top of Thundrbird Mtn. with two of the puppies in tow. I practice Aikido- a very vigorous martial art, and can't remember the last time I was breathless unless it was when hiking at higher elevations or looking at the splendor of the night sky when camping. Well, looking at the beauty of my children and my wife will sometimes leave me breathless as well.
    Regards,
    I don't care for contention either, and I'm pretty sure that I know Gilmore well enough to know that he didn't really mean to start anything.

Having said all that, I, too, used to run three times a week while still a smoker. And my dog ran with me--3-4 miles twice a week with a longer run on Saturday. In fact I ran 3 miles the day before my first heart attack.

But then, I was a heavy cigarette smoker. If I'd stuck to pipes and cigars, I'd probably have been fine.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    I, for one, am glad you are still around to post your comments. May your heart be strong and healthy.
    Slainte,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am only an occasional (very) smoker of cigars; as good a quality and as expensive as I can afford to buy at the time, no particular favourite. Whenever I do get the urge to spark up I'm usually drinking a fine malt (usually Islay of some sort), a complex red (Pinot Noir springs to my mind also, Sionnach) or a decent glass of port.
    "O, why the deuce should I repine, and be an ill foreboder?
    I'm twenty-three, and five feet nine, I'll go and be a sodger!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On occassion I'll smoke a little natural tobacco and no not the wacky weed, but natural mixture of tobacco, barks and added herbs, a special blend. I'll smoke out of a pipestone pipe I carved myself. As for the drink.. Right this moment, unsweet tea..
    “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.”
    – Robert Louis Stevenson

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast