X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Steve!

I'm dealing on a set of small pipes myself, and can hardly wait! Isn't it fun?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The smallpipes are a delight for me. The Spouse has put up with a lot, with me doing two hours a day on the practice chanter for five months now. The squawk that is my starting and stopping of the pipes is a little louder and a little more annoying. I should master striking them up and the end stop fairly soon. I am practicing the strike and stop as taught to me by my tutor. It looks so easy done by an experienced piper!

Neither my pipes or my practice chanter are stored in the motorcar. They go where I go. The original post was a take on an old piping joke. I would never leave my instruments in harm's way.

FWIW: A top quality practice chanter is an essential instrument for any piper or student just starting out. Properly tuned, it will help you develop an ear for the notes of the Highland Bagpipe, and will teach your ears to recognize them when others are playing. God, AKA my tutor, has made it quite plain that quality practice technique leads to quality piping. Knowing how to tune your instrument and keep it in tune is essential to a good performance.

Practice early and often.
    Slainte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish i would have learned earlier also, but it's my only hobby, so at least I can devote what free time that I have.
    I'm hoping to learn proper tuning and improved musicality as well as tempo at bagpipe school next month. I just know the younger kids are going to 'blow by me' but hopefully I won't be alone in that.....

Freelancer is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go Steve. Noticing your progress will add motivation to keep going. I've had that experience with my drumming which I started last August. I'm good enough to march with the pipe band in parades and my stick control (left hand) is getting much better. Keep at it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freelancer,
    Keep up with the drumming! I have a very difficult time with tempo and rhythm.
    I started on this adventure with absolutely zero musical skill or knowledge. After five months, I can here good things coming from my practice chanter. I just got home from my first gig as a musician, playing two tunes on my practice chanter in a small venue with hard acoustics. The smallpipes would hve been too much in this wooden box. My practice chanter was able to give me the right volume to entertain the audience. It was a success, I have been asked to play there again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Pipes! These look remarkably similar to the set of Kitchen Pipes I purchased from Scott's Highland Supply, Ltd. several years ago. However, mine came with a Dunbar practice chanter. I bought them through Oliver Seeler over at Universe of Bagpipes. You're right though, they are a joy to play, and the neighbors never complain.
    Last edited by Brother Falldown; 12th May 09 at 08:30 PM. Reason: forgot Oliver's name!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brother Falldown,
    They are the same pipes! Scott's has them set up with the Dunbar Millenium. I own a Dunbar Deluxe Long Blackwood that hemps up nicely into it, and with an Abbott reed delivers a very present (loud) sound.

Loud Pipes Save Lives

Slainte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mom has a set of the Kitchen Pipes. We have tried several reeds in the chanter and drones. The Abbott reeds are the best things for the chanter, by far. At least of the 5 or 6 makes we tried. Very good, bold sound. Gibson are almost as good, but less predictable. For the drones, we ended up with reeds I made out of plastic cups. Good balance of volume and tone.

I normally play my Shuttle Pipes and my mom normally plays her Firesides, but the KPs are a great little low-budget small pipe. And a good blackwood chanter would be a nice thing to stick in there.

Yeah, I think it is a good choice. Good on you!

-Patrick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a set, also. Got them from Oliver Seeler and his Universe of Bagpipes. They're very good for indoor stuff. I'm the music director at my church and play hymns sometimes for Sunday morning services. Just loud enough in a small church sanctuary.
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles Martel when you need him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr Woolery,

Have you tried Abbott reeds all the way around, drones as well as chanter? I'm asking because I'd like to get something a bit stiffer than the supplied reeds I've been using. The only reeds available locally are cheap **** and I'd rather not use them, so I'll be mail ordering at least one Abbott. That plus a little more volume never hurt a small set of pipes.
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles Martel when you need him?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast