X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the "Superior hose" listed at this site.

http://www.bagpipecovers.com/hose.html

Or the piper's hose at this site:

http://www.college-of-piping.co.uk/a...Kilt_Hose.html

Cheapest prices I have found on the internet for the Lewis-style hose and piper's hose. REmember you have to figure the exchange rate of $1.50 per GBP and then shipping across the pond, but if you are buying more than one pair it will probably save you on the shipping.

I have several pairs of piper's hose and I swear I could probably put BOTH legs into one hose, they are so elastic, and extremely long to boot. The pipers hose are all 70%wool/30%nylon in all the colors except white, which are not wool but mostly acryllic (which is actually stretchier even than the wool, if you like white).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to thank Joerg_Mosthaf for asking that question and everyone else for answering it. I have the same problem and (up until now) have found no solution. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem. The Scottish Tartan Museum has kilt hose with larger calves. Great service too. I highly recommend them. Since you're in Europe you might find them in the UK. In fact the ones at STM come from the UK.
    Past President, St. Andrew's Society of the Inland Northwest
    Member, Royal Scottish Country Dance Society
    Founding Member, Celtic Music Spokane
    Member, Royal Photographic Society

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joerg_Mosthaf View Post
    Damn - that quick reply widget doesn't seem to work - typed that reply 3 times
    Ok, here goes again:
    Thank you all for the great info.
    I have measured my calves and they are 48cm (aprox. 19") around.
    Would the kilt hose from W.Brewin Co. (http://stores.channeladvisor.com/wbsocks/Kilt%20Hose/ ) fit?
    The fully fashioned kilt hose from the Scottish Tartan Museum gift shop look great, if a bit pricey. But they have a delivery estimate of 4-8 weeks and I would like to get at least a pair for my upcoming birthday (scottish themed party ).
    I also mailed Hamilton Dry Goods and asked about international shipping.
    We don't keep a full stock of all sizes and colors on hand in the large-calf "fully fashioned" version of the Lewis hose, hence the delivery time.

BUT we do keep some in stock, so depending on what size and color you want, there is a chance we have something to your liking we could ship out immediately.

You can either call the gift shop to place your order by phone, and the person you talk to could tell you right then what is in stock (be sure you say you want the wide calf style), or if you PM me your shoe size, I can check the inventory and let you know what colors we have on hand in your size. I won't be in the museum today (Tuesday), though, so my reply would have to wait till tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twin City Knitting (at your local soccer shop, usually) has some black ones that work well. and cheap.

I'll have to see about my greens I think they were from one of the advertised folk here.
    [B]Barnett[/B] (House, no clan) -- Motto [i]Virescit Vulnere Virtus[/i] (Courage Flourishes at a Wound)
    [B]Livingston(e)[/B] (Ancestral family allied with) -- Motto [i]Se je puis[/i] (If I can)
    [B]Anderson[/B] (married into) -- Motto [i]Stand Sure
    [/i][b]Frame[/b] Lanarkshire in the fifteenth century
    [url="http://www.xmarksthescot.com/photoplog/index.php?u=3478"]escher-Photoplog[/url]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    We don't keep a full stock of all sizes and colors on hand in the large-calf "fully fashioned" version of the Lewis hose, hence the delivery time.

BUT we do keep some in stock, so depending on what size and color you want, there is a chance we have something to your liking we could ship out immediately.
    Thanks for the kind offer. I now have ordered "samples" from a few of the recommended shops to look if they fit me. If some don't I have a kilt-wearing friend with more "normal" calves who could probably use them
    I will PM you, if all of them don't fit (my shoe size is EU 45 -> US 11). Thanks.
    One question - are your shipping rates also for hose? Because $35 shipping for a pair of kilt hose seems a bit steep.

Seattle, WA: N 47° 40' 50.109";W 122° 17' 14.7726"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the advice mentioned above about the lewis hose that can be found at the Scottish Tartans Museum. They look and feel amazing!
    The Barry

"Confutatis maledictis, flammis acribus addictis;
    voca me cum benedictis." -"Dies Irae" (Day of Wrath)

Phogfan86 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son and I both bought our piper's hose from the College. We're very pleased with them, and it's also nice knowing that a portion of the purchase price helps the College out.
    Why, a child of five could understand this. Quick -- someone fetch me a child of five!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for the Record: Hamilton Dry Goods does indeed ship internationally and the shipping rates are:
    2 pair will ship to Germany for $11.00 by First Class Mail or $27.00 by
    Priority Mail --
    4-5 pair will cost $18.00 by First Class Mail or $30.00 by Priority Mail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joerg_Mosthaf View Post
    Damn - that quick reply widget doesn't seem to work - typed that reply 3 times
    Ok, here goes again:
    Thank you all for the great info.
    I have measured my calves and they are 48cm (aprox. 19") around.
    Would the kilt hose from W.Brewin Co. (http://stores.channeladvisor.com/wbsocks/Kilt%20Hose/ ) fit?
    The fully fashioned kilt hose from the Scottish Tartan Museum gift shop look great, if a bit pricey. But they have a delivery estimate of 4-8 weeks and I would like to get at least a pair for my upcoming birthday (scottish themed party ).
    I also mailed Hamilton Dry Goods and asked about international shipping.
    I also have 19" calves.
    Yes, the kilt hose from W.Brewin Co. will fit your calves just fine.
    I have no issue with the comfort of them, they seem comfortable enough to me.
    As for the quality, I admittedly have nothing to compare them to.
    I bought 4 pair of them just last month and they are the only kilt hose I own.
    I have only worn them a few times.
    So far I am happy enough with them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast