X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Better for a first kilt: Traditional or Contemporary?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Traditional

150 71.43%
  • Contemporary

60 28.57%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyMan View Post
    I'm going to cheat just a little and recommend a semi-trad from Rocky. You really couldn't do better than that for a first kilt. It gives you a taste for just how fine a custom made kilt can feel, you get a classic traditional look and nearly traditional feel in the swing of it, and you get all that for a price right in the middle of the contemporary price range. Yah, I started with a Utilikilt and now own 40 kilts. But if I were to advise someone starting out, USAK would be my recommendation.
    You, sir, said exactly what I as thinking. This post is the exact reason I didn't register a vote. USA Kilt's semi trads are incredible.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted "Contemporary" not because of a personal preference, but because most of my friends really like the UK look. Could be a regional thing...?? But hey... If I had to start over, the first kilt I'd wear out the door would be a contemporary. After the first time, it's open season!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the problem with this particular poll is that the topic is far too broad.

While there is only one Traditional Kilt the other side of the coin is very diverse.

If I may suggest; If the article I wrote and that is posted here.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=43530

were used as a starting point lumping a UK together with a USA Kilt would be a gross injustice to both.

I like the term Casual Style Kilt when talking about Rocky's Casual and Semi-Trad Models. Both are made from a non-Wool fabric. Both are machine sewn without stabilizers and interfacing.

But then we get into a further Gray area if we bring a Stillwater into the mix. Yes, it's non-Wool, machine sewn without interfacing so it should be in the Casual Style Kilt catagory. But the difference between a Stillwater and a USA Kilt Semi-Trad is like night and day.

I like the term MUG when referring to a UK. This is the term coined by Steven V. himself to describe his product.

A Contemporary Style Kilt is one which may use Wool or Non-Wool fabrics. But will have the interfacings that take the stress and strain off the pleats.

So maybe the categories of this poll are just too broad.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

MacKay71 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted contemporary just for the sake of cost if you're not sure about jumping in with both feet. My first kilt was a black UK that I got on sale.

Rainy Mountain, British Columbia - Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may be opening up a can of worms here because there are any number of people on this board who seem to have difficulty rationally discussing contemporary vs. "traditional" kilts (which are actually modern kilts, but that's a whole other can of worms). I can only speak from my own experience, and I would point out that my first kilt was a contemporary/MUG-type garment.

I'm glad to have done it that way. It's something a little like jeans and a little not, and I found that eased my transition from wearing jeans all the time to thinking about jeans none of the time. If that makes sense. Without the contemporary kilt in there, I don't know that I could have conceived of myself wandering about the city (and country, and forest, and mountains, and backroads, and...) in a full-on tartan kilt and sporran.

Again, this is only my experience.

I think Steve's got a couple of pretty good points up there in his posts. ^^
    Last edited by Roderick; 12th May 09 at 10:22 PM. Reason: just messed up!

San Francisco, California or there abouts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    I think the problem with this particular poll is that the topic is far too broad.

While there is only one Traditional Kilt the other side of the coin is very diverse.

SNIP

So maybe the categories of this poll are just too broad.
    Definitions are indeed hard to agree on. From my perspective anything that looks like a tradtional kilt, regardless of the material and quality of manufacturer is categorized as a "traditionally-styled" kilt. Not because its made in the traditional manner, or necessarily of like quality, but rather because to the outside non-Xmarks world, its perceived as a tradionally-styled Scottish kilt. Everything else is some type of modern kilt varient. Thus Steve, I put many of yours and Rocky's kilts in the traditional side of my personal catalog, even if you don't.

Best regards,

Jake
    [B]Less talk, more monkey![/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rant answer:
    With respect…
    What good was expected from this question?
    Especially in this forum subsection.

An opportunity for some oh so polite bashing one way or the other?

My answer: Value. Quality and utility and cost.
    To wear when and where, and for what reason or purpose, and with what frequency?
    [FONT="Georgia"][B][I]-- Larry B.[/I][/B][/FONT]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion is : traditional !
    Andrew Philip
    NE TARDE PAS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

traditional

I voted traditional. By the way I followed the thread that McMurdo mentioned and it is exactly how i believe the traditional kilt should be utilised. I'm not against the more modern trends but as i'm getting older i'm happy to be classed as a miserable old Jock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Brandane View Post
    I voted traditional. By the way I followed the thread that McMurdo mentioned and it is exactly how i believe the traditional kilt should be utilised. I'm not against the more modern trends but as i'm getting older i'm happy to be classed as a miserable old Jock.
    Exactly!
    I don't believe the idea is to arrive in heaven in a well preserved body! But to slide in side ways,Kilt A' Fly'n! Scream'en "Mon Wha A Ride" Kilted Santas
    4th Laird of Lochaber, Knights of St Andrew,Knight of The Double Eagle
    Clan Seton,House of Gordon,Clan Claus,Semper Fedilas

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast