X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rainy Mountain, British Columbia - Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weathered Tartan: Only day wear, or formal wear, too?

Since you folks gave me such great advice about my current kilt and kilt dilemma (regarding my black kilt ensemble), I thought I might seek your advice again, this time on weathered tartans -- the weathered Davidson clan tartan, specifically.

See, my family tartan would be Davidson, as that's my mother's heritage (Dad was a mongrel with a last name his father invented as a joke), but I was never really a fan of the Davidson tartan. At first I figured I was resigned to either wearing a tartan I didn't care for, or one to which I had no particular connection. But then I discovered the Davidson weathered tartan (it's here, third one down), and I quite liked it. I figured that I would get a kilt fashioned from that, and it would be my formal kilt wear for all events Scottish.

But lately I've been wondering about it, and I was struck with two questions...

1. - Is the earthy tone of weathered tartans suitable for formal events? Or is a weathered tartan only suited to day wear?

And 2. - Would brown straps and brass buckles be inappropriate for formal attire? (I ask only because I started to think it might look pretty sharp with brown and brass hardware, and it would go great with brown daywear accessories, but I can see how it might not work for formal wear.)

Your input is appreciated. I'm a ways away from ordering this yet, but I thought I would ask before I made any final decision on just what I was ordering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Na, it would be fine. I've been told to not worry about these things.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't really know enough to answer your question, but personally I like the look of the weathered tartans. It seems to me that they go with a lot of colors when matching up a shirt with them. Are other tartans available in a weathered version?

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the weathered tartans do seem just made to go with day wear (tweeds and brown leathers with their softer muted colors) but I imagine it would work fine with a formal outfit.

I wouldn't go with brown leather straps and brass buckles if you are planning on pairing it with black formal wear.

The black straps and silver buckles will look far less odd matched with brown leather and brass accessories in your day wear outfit than brown straps and brass buckles with the black of a formal outfit.

Cheers

Jamie :ootd:
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roderick, that's a lovely tartan. I had a similar question ordering my first kilt earlier this year: My family tartan didn't really grab me, but the weathered version (which I use as my avatar) looked great. I asked around and gathered that it didn't really matter. I think, for the financial outlay, you have to love the tartan.

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always taken the view that the kilt is a very versatile garment, and that is what makes it so useful. You can wear it fairly casually during the day and then dress the same one up with a formal jacket for the evening. You couldn't do that with a dinner suit/tuxedo could you? If you like the tartan go ahead and wear it as you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, if the mixing of black and some of the brown colors bothers you, you don't have to wear a black formal jacket. The Prince Charlie and, I think, the dress argyle are the only jackets that are required to be black. The sporran does not have to be blacke; just furry or hairy. So why not get a dark green or dark blue doublet with brass buttons, and even a brown fur sporran with brass cantle... That just leaves your black shoes, which will be very shiney mirrors reflecting the colors of your hose.

From my reading and question asking, I have found that formal Highland attire appears to be quite flexable and open to personal tastes.

Good luck.

BTW, there is no law that requires you to have that third, lower strap and buckle on your kilt and it is very much unneeded. The two straps at the waist would likely be covered in a formal ensemble. You might consider not having that strap and buckle put on the kilt as another option. Panache is right though, a dab of black on a batch of brown might be better than a dab of brown on a batch of black.
    Last edited by Bugbear; 19th May 09 at 02:11 AM.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I have always taken the view that the kilt is a very versatile garment, and that is what makes it so useful. You can wear it fairly casually during the day and then dress the same one up with a formal jacket for the evening. You couldn't do that with a dinner suit/tuxedo could you? If you like the tartan go ahead and wear it as you like.
    I agree... the kilts versatility is why investing in a well made tank is, IMHO, a "thrifty" choice. A quality kilt can be the basis of many different outfits... and your tartan is no exception.

The devil is always in the details; if your formal jacket, waistcoat, hose, sporran and shoes are well coordinated, then you're going to look great. If you go the standard route, PC, etc, then that will mean black. But Ted's suggestion of a doublet in a color other than black is a really interesting one and could look great, too.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While the colors of some tartans might lend themselves more for formal wear or casual wear, you can in fact dress any tartan up or down. It is not the tartan that makes an outfit formal or casual, but the way in which you accessorize it. Remember, most kilt wearers will have only one nice kilt in their family tartan and it must serve them for any event they want to attend kilted. I've seen plenty weathered tartans at formal functions.

There is no reason why you couldn't wear the weathered Davidson with a black jacket and all the rest of the formal kit.

And just FYI, Prince Charlies don't have to be black, as a couple of posts here have implied. You can get them pretty easily in other colors, including navy blue and bottle green. However, black is the classic color, and to match your weathered Davidson I'd definitley recommend the black.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Mr. Newsome here, as far back as I can remember everyone one associates FORMAL with BLACK. Just as he stated the PC comes in other colors
    depending which goes with your kilt and your preferences.

My self I prefer the Black im my jackets, thought I'm about to try a tweed for casual in both the jacket and waist coat.

It is entirely up to you. In my family tartan I prefer the ancient over the Hunting the modern or the weathered. But that's just me.
    I don't believe the idea is to arrive in heaven in a well preserved body! But to slide in side ways,Kilt A' Fly'n! Scream'en "Mon Wha A Ride" Kilted Santas
    4th Laird of Lochaber, Knights of St Andrew,Knight of The Double Eagle
    Clan Seton,House of Gordon,Clan Claus,Semper Fedilas

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast