X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Colonel MacNeal is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Arlington, Texas (land of the bluebonnets)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Canadian PV Tartans?

There's a mill in Canada that makes the Maple Leaf, the New Brunswick, the Nova Scotia, the PEI, etc. in PV.

I wonder if Rocky can get the Canadian PV tartans for his Casual Kilts, and if the material is of comparable quality to the MM pv?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you post a link as I have never heard of this mill.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean Fraser Kirkbright? They are the mill who wove up the X-Marks wool run last year, and wove the Royal Stewart for my kilt, I'm not sure if they do P.V. or not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not trying to hog this thread but if it the mill in Quebec Aleisha Fabrics the quality of their PV is very low, the weight is approximatly 8-10oz, it pills very easily, its a loose weave , and really itsn't all that great for kiltmaking I have used it in the past like in the beginning and was never happy with the end result, hence why I had MM create a 12 oz PV MAple Leaf tartan this has made wonderful kilts .
    MacHummel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As was said above the Canadian tartans in PV do show up in some of the local fabric shops. The ones I have seen are very lightweight - nothing like quality of MM's pv.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To echo MacHummel - a couple of years ago, I bought some non-Marton Mills Maple Leaf PV on eBay from a Canadian seller. It is just 10 oz., and it is a loose, light weave. To make it kilt-worthy, I had to line the entire kilt.

Glen, I think Fraser Kirkbright only did that one run of 13 oz. PV Black Watch that Steve mentioned once or twice. Gordon might have done a special order since then, but when I contacted him the colors he had available then were limited.

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In my search for ANY mill that weaves PV material (especially the ellusive 'quality 16 oz PV' beast), I have run across this mill... it was about 4 years ago (and yes, I forget the name of the mill by now). 2 small points...

1. This is the same mill that another Canadian PV Kiltmaker (NOT MacHummel) uses to get his Canadian Tartans. Having seen one and held the material, I already decided that the material was too light to make a kilt from... The others on this thread are correct - the weight is approx 8 or 9 oz.

2. Having spoken to the mill's owner once, he made it very clear that he did not sell / ship his material to anyone outside of Canada. Not sure WHY that was his policy, but it was. I couldn't buy the material even if I DID think it was high enough quality for a kilt.

If you're looking for a decent quality 'Canadian' tartan PV kilt, check out MacHummel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some of the "other" stuff in a Nova Scotia tartan; it's intended to make my wife a skirt. I got it through an eBay reseller, at a good price.

I hope it will do well for a skirt , but it may need to be lined. For dressy occasions, I'll bet she wears her USAK skirt in Marton PV instead!

Consult CCK for your Maple Leaf kilt, you'll love it.
    Ken Sallenger - apprentice kiltmaker, journeyman curmudgeon,
    gainfully unemployed systems programmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Pete is correct about the company. I remember them being in Montreal for some reason. I owned a kilt from another PV kiltmaker who used these for his Canadian tartans. It's at best an 6-8 oz PV and very thin. Yes it's soft, but I would not recommend it.

My understanding is that they would not ship outside of Canada. That was a few years ago.