X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, certainly, if someone were to wear a specifically military pattern rosette, it might be taken as less-than-complimentary by persons who put in a lot of effort to earn the right to wear it. I was thinking of something along the lines of a rosette that wasn't an exact copy of a military one.

But yes, certain things like wearing a red hackle behind the cap badge on a Glengarry or Balmoral (something which the RHR would take a dim view of) might get one a special "discussion" in a back alley, similar to how wearing a maroon t-shirt in the proximity of certain heavily armed folks who jump out of planes on the way to work might be detrimental to one's dental work.

It might be worth researching whether the rosette one is considering wearing is in the pattern of any military ones first.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xena View Post
    Oh, certainly, if someone were to wear a specifically military pattern rosette, it might be taken as less-than-complimentary by persons who put in a lot of effort to earn the right to wear it. I was thinking of something along the lines of a rosette that wasn't an exact copy of a military one.

But yes, certain things like wearing a red hackle behind the cap badge on a Glengarry or Balmoral (something which the RHR would take a dim view of) might get one a special "discussion" in a back alley, similar to how wearing a maroon t-shirt in the proximity of certain heavily armed folks who jump out of planes on the way to work might be detrimental to one's dental work.

It might be worth researching whether the rosette one is considering wearing is in the pattern of any military ones first.
    Here is a picture from the pipe band I mentioned in a previous post:

http://www.buchanpipeband.com/images...Ballymena2.jpg

These particular rosettes look nothing like the ones worn by British and Canadian forces, so I see nothing wrong with wearing them on civilian kit.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to disagree Todd, but to me those look mighty similar to the rosette's worn by the RSR (or is that RRS?-- anyway...) maybe a trifle smaller, and certainly worn bunched up and lower on the kilt, but other than that, I'd be hard pressed to tell 'em apart with a glance.

I wouldn't advocate wearing rosettes on the kilt-- way too much of a Walt thing in my book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add to the confusion ref Rosettes. You do know some regiments use Gaelic Kilt Knots (Bows) http://houseoflabhran.net/images/hig...bow_ribbon.gif

These are pretty much military items I never see them on civilians in Scotland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Just to add to the confusion ref Rosettes. You do know some regiments use Gaelic Kilt Knots (Bows) http://houseoflabhran.net/images/hig...bow_ribbon.gif

These are pretty much military items I never see them on civilians in Scotland.
    These are rosettes

Bog Trotter is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was informed that the rosette had a military affiliation. However, I wear a green rosette because it looks good with my tartan kilt. As a veteran, I also wear it as a sign of respect for the military. Just my humble imput.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nervous Jock View Post
    These are rosettes
    Actually A rosette is named for being shaped like a Rose where as a bow is a bow and nothing like a rose in any way. They are distinctly different and do not mix. A rosette is round like a political campaigner would wear

http://houseoflabhran.net/sitebuilde...s2-249x150.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't matter, I wear a four inch blanket pin in the bottom corner of my apron on my traditional kilt.
    Last edited by Bugbear; 29th August 09 at 02:53 AM.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    They are distinctly different and do not mix.
    Eh???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nervous Jock View Post
    Eh???
    In a kilt you would not say have a Rosette, bow, rosette. You would have 3 rosettes or 3 bows in a row not mixed. Regiments used one or other never both on one kilt.

As you know they use more than one bow usually 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast