X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cut Steel Buttons?

I'm trying to understand why cut steel buttons, and buckles for that matter, are desirable. I have read some of the history behind them and also understand they are often faceted like gemstones.

How would you tell the difference between cut steel and chrome buttons at a glance or on someone's jacket?
    What is the advantage of cut steel over sterling silver?

What else, in Highland attire, is cut steel used on?

Thank you.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only seen a few cut steel buttons, but the faceting on the ones I've seen is very detailed with complex patterns. Some of the facets are quite small...I was actually amazed at the level of detail and understood why they could be desirable. The cuts are very sharp edged, too, like fine cut crystal. I've never seen anything quite like it in chrome or silver and it may be that those metals couldn't be cut into such small, intricate facets. The faceting catches the light in a unique way. I've only seen them a couple of times, and then only briefly so someone else is bound to have better information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cut Steel Buttons and Buckles

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Crocker View Post
    I'm trying to understand why cut steel buttons, and buckles for that matter, are desirable.
    Two reasons: First, very few gentlemen have cut steel buckles and buttons these days; second, because they are uncommon, you get to enjoy not looking like a "cookie cutter Scotsman", unlike all of the guys with their "off the rack" stuff.
    I have read some of the history behind them and also understand they are often faceted like gemstones.
    Yes they are. A good pair gives the impression of glittering gems. When rooms were lit by candles, or gas light, the cut steel would bounce and reflect light just like white sapphires.
    How would you tell the difference between cut steel and chrome buttons at a glance or on someone's jacket?
    First by the shape, and secondly by their warmth. Chrome always looks "cold", especially under modern, artificial light.
    What is the advantage of cut steel over sterling silver?
    Probably the main difference is cost; as far as an advantage is concerned, it's probably the perception of exclusivity. Whilie sliver may tarnish, cut steel may rust. Both require more care than chrome.
    What else, in Highland attire, is cut steel used on?
    I've seen sword hilts, and dirks with cut steel embellishments. I suppose plaid brooches could also be had in cut steel, although I've never actually seen one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting; I understand now. Thank you.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are cut steel buckles I found on Ebay -

they are a bit more interesting than the plain ones that came with the shoes.

And here are some others if anyone is interested -

These are silver-plated brass with a cut steel edging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Phil.

I'm going to go ahead and bring this link over that JSFMACLJR posted in my pewter thread.
    Military Metalwork

I've been looking at the site. I don't seem to find the details on the cut steel items, but it does say that it is a new site.
    I even followed the link to Henry Poole and Co they have there and looked in the button section, but I don't find the cut steel buttons. They do have other interesting buttons, though.

It's interesting that steel has a warmer shine than chrome; , I do remember that the chrome and stainless steel have a cold look to them.
    Last edited by Bugbear; 21st June 09 at 02:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you started this discussion about buttons, Ted. I've really come to dislike the overly shiney look of chrome... it just doesn't seem to fit with the textures of fine wool and I want to replace the buttons on my PC coatee. The best way I've found to describe what I'm looking for is that I want buttons (and a cantle) with "high lustre", but not "shine."
    I noticed on the "Military Metalwork" link, that their cut steel buttons are plated with Rhodium to prevent rust so I wonder if that effects their glitter-factor? I had been resigned to saving up for Sterling Silver, but I'm wondering if anyone makes cut steel buttons in the traditional diamond shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KFCarter View Post
    I'm glad you started this discussion about buttons, Ted. I've really come to dislike the overly shiney look of chrome... it just doesn't seem to fit with the textures of fine wool and I want to replace the buttons on my PC coatee. The best way I've found to describe what I'm looking for is that I want buttons (and a cantle) with "high lustre", but not "shine."
    I noticed on the "Military Metalwork" link, that their cut steel buttons are plated with Rhodium to prevent rust so I wonder if that effects their glitter-factor? I had been resigned to saving up for Sterling Silver, but I'm wondering if anyone makes cut steel buttons in the traditional diamond shape.
    I am not aware of cut steel buttons being made in other than round shapes, but please don't think that "traditional diamond shape" buttons are de rigueur! Round buttons are just as traditional, as are buttons of various shapes such as salmon, pine cones, oak leaves, seals, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    I am not aware of cut steel buttons being made in other than round shapes, but please don't think that "traditional diamond shape" buttons are de rigueur! Round buttons are just as traditional, as are buttons of various shapes such as salmon, pine cones, oak leaves, seals, etc.
    That's very good to know, thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to replace the buttons on my PC coatee. The best way I've found to describe what I'm looking for is that I want buttons (and a cantle) with "high lustre", but not "shine."
    Then you might want to consider having them silver plated. As Mr. Ripley used to say, Believe It or Not silver plated button and cantles used to be quite common and were not that much more expensive than chrome.
    I noticed on the "Military Metalwork" link, that their cut steel buttons are plated with Rhodium to prevent rust so I wonder if that effects their glitter-factor?
    Slightly. It gives them a bit more shine, in addition to preventing oxidation. All silver hilts leaving Wilkinson Sword were routinely Rhodium plated for that very reason.
    I had been resigned to saving up for Sterling Silver, but I'm wondering if anyone makes cut steel buttons in the traditional diamond shape.
    Like JSFMACLJR said, the diamond shape buttons are not a requirement-- I'm sure you could have anything made, at a price!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast