X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Products in "My" Tartan

Nick,

I would be interested in getting some products made in the tartan I had designed, the Dove tartan, #7261 at STA. Your site claims to have access to all the recorded tartans, yet when I query Dove only the tartans for "Grotto Dove" appear. Am I doing something wrong?
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave

If you designed the tartan on Scotweb's tartan designer, log into scotweb s yourself and go to the members page button listed under your login right upper. On that page should be the tartans you designed, and hopefully the one you want stuff made out of. Click on that tartan to open the Design your own Tartan page with your desing on it. Right beneath the "Design Your Tartan" bar in the middle of the page are several tabs, and one on the right side says "Buy" which when clicked should bring up the whole range of options for items, including fabric and kilts, that you can have made from your tartan. Realize, of course, that you still have to pay for the minimum length of custom woven tartan, either single or double width, despite possibly only wanting an item of less than the minimum length. For example, if you buy a kilt that uses 3.7 meters of double width custom weave 16oz in your tartan, you still have 5.3 meters of DW you have to either get other items made out of or pay for and get it sent with the kilt when they are done with it. The custom weaves have a minimum of either 8 meters single width (more expensive per sq yd) or double width that you are required to buy either way. I ran the exercise several different ways yesterday. If all you want is an 8yd kilt then order the tartan woven single width and save about $100US on the whole deal (nearly all the tartan will be used up in the kilt with little left over), but if you are getting a kilt and maybe some other stuff made out of it order the slightly more expensive double width and get your kilt with the significant amount of leftover available for other things like a fly plaid, etc...

hope this helps.

Jeff :ootd:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a different situation. This tartan was designed elsewhere and is registered at the Scottish Tartans Authority. The store claims to be able to get any tartan registered at the STA and I am trying to figure out how to get mine done.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, Dave, I thought you had used scotweb to design it. Good luck with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davedove View Post
    Nick,

I would be interested in getting some products made in the tartan I had designed, the Dove tartan, #7261 at STA. Your site claims to have access to all the recorded tartans, yet when I query Dove only the tartans for "Grotto Dove" appear. Am I doing something wrong?
    Just a shot in the dark, but should this have not been a PM to Nick, or an email to Scotsweb? This doesen't seem like a "open to the public" type of question.

Frank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, it is of general interest. Dave's post is a request for information of a sort that other users might find of value.
    Ron Stewart
    'S e ar roghainn a th' ann - - - It is our choices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronstew View Post
    Sure, it is of general interest. Dave's post is a request for information of a sort that other users might find of value.
    It looks like a personal question to a business owner, and that never involves anyone other than the customer and the business. We have all seen someone take a business owner to task here when it sould have been between them, and it quite often ends in a troll fest. If I have a business question for Matt Newsome, should he have to respond to 5 or 6 other people who want to get in on it? Customer service is between 2 people who plan to exchange money... all others have no right to get involved and should not exspect to be able to.

Frank

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

I have sent off a PM to Nick about this thread and Dave's question.

I suggest everyone leave things be here till Nick takes a look

Cheers

Jamie :ootd:
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads-up to this thread Jamie.

To davedove, I have to admit that at this moment (11pm at night, at home) I have no idea at all why this isn't in our listings. I see it was recorded a couple of years ago, so it's not a case of being too recent to have been included yet.

I'll look into it further tomorrow at work. But if I can't find an answer in our internal systems, it may take a little time to find out more, since Brian Wilton (STA Director) is currently out of the country for another week or two.

Meanwhile, sorry! I appreciate that when you've had your tartan designed and recorded it's disappointing not to find it. Once we work out why we'll put things right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again Dave,

After further digging around, it seems that the reason we don't have that in our lists, is that it's categorised as a Personal tartan. This is the STA category for designs that an individual records for his or her own use only. And I think Brian just got fed up with so many such individuals getting on his back about their private design apparently being for sale (even though it wouldn't have been without checking for permission). So he took the executive decision to remove them from any public lists. That, at least, is my understanding of the situation, without being able to check with Brian directly.

If you wish us to list it, we can add it manually. And in any case we can easily get it woven. If you want to see pricing and even place an order, just select another of our Special Weave fabrics meanwhile (e.g. Fiddes!) and add a note for the customer service team with details of the tartan you actually want.

You may also wish to discuss your tartan's status further with Brian... once he is back in the country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast