X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: DIY Bow Tie

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY Bow Tie

Originally Posted by pdcorlis 01-08-2009

I suppose its only fair to let the cat out of the bag and share my DIY Bow Tie project.

First things first you'll need a pattern. If you already own a bow tie its easy enough to trace around it and start from there.
    Here is a link to a PDF file that's a pretty good starting place for a pattern:

http://www.latimes.com/features/life...ck=5&cset=true

It looks like this:

Its pretty big so you'll have to fuss with it in printing.
    Once you get it out of the printer, I suggest you transfer it to some sturdier stock so it will last a while.

Here's mine:

Notice I've added diamond points that can be folded back if I want to make a more standard thistle shape - which is almost never. I love diamond point bow ties. Also notice I've made one of the long legs in two pieces. That's because I make my bow ties from old straight ties from the thrift shop. There just isn't enough fabric to do the whole tie so that piece is made from some cheap cotton blend fabric I had laying around. Oh yeah, you'll need to cut two from of the shorter leg pattern - right?

A word on recycling ties. If you look around you'll find some great ties for next to nothing. I have several recycled silk bows and a few synthetic bows as well. Wide ties are the best - they have plenty of fabric. Be sure to check the fabric thickness. Since there is no interfacing in these ties the fabric needs to be sturdy enough that your bow doesn't look like a wilted lilly when its tied - that is unless you like that sort of thing!

Ok - down to business...

Grab your trusty seam ripper and dismantle your carefully chosen recycled tie. Use care here not to damage the fabric. You'll need every square inch of the stuff. By the way - after dismantling several straight ties you'll become quite an expert on the differences between a quality tie - and a cheap tie. Quality ties are a bigger pain in the neck to dismantle!

Once you have the primo fabric separated from the other bits and pieces you'll need to iron it flat.
    This is me pretending to use something for an ironing cloth - because I left my "real" one at home today.

Now its time to lay out your pattern pieces. Its a bit like figuring out a jig saw puzzle
    but with a little patience you'll soon be ready to trace around your pattern pieces and start cutting.
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok here are all the pieces cut and ready for pinning.
    You'll need to sew the cotton blend piece to make a matching "long" leg but I'll bet you knew that part already...

Oh yeah - don't do what I did the first time round...
    When you pin BE SURE the good fabric faces are on the INSIDE!

You guessed it - time to sew the pieces together. Leave the narrow ends open - you'll be turning your work next.

I like to use a knitting needle to turn the work right side out.

It all looks a bit anemic until its been sorted out under the iron.
    Take your time and soon it will start to look pretty darn nice!

Final assembly time. If you are making an adjustable tie you'll need two of these for each tie.
    It only took about three days to find this source - so - you're welcome. If you live in a city I bet you can get them more easily...
    They are bra strap slides and if you live in the boonies like me you'll have to order them from here.

http://www.sewsassy.com/BraProducts/...hormetalslides

You'll need to anchor one strap slide to the short leg and then route the long leg through it and back under the other strap slide. To be honest its easier to see than describe. In this photo the short leg is lower right and the long leg is upper left.

At long last - here's the finished bow tie smartly decorating your's truly.
    If you don't want to fork over $25 - $50 per bow then this can be a fun project.

Thrift shops seem to have a never ending fresh supply of inexpensive straight ties
    so I say Happy Hunting and don't forget to show us your handy work

Original Thread posted by pdcorlis 01-08-2009

Original Thread can be found here:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/d...x.html?t=44411
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand