Originally Posted by pdcorlis 01-08-2009

I suppose its only fair to let the cat out of the bag and share my DIY Bow Tie project.

First things first you'll need a pattern. If you already own a bow tie its easy enough to trace around it and start from there.
Here is a link to a PDF file that's a pretty good starting place for a pattern:

http://www.latimes.com/features/life...ck=5&cset=true

It looks like this:

Its pretty big so you'll have to fuss with it in printing.
Once you get it out of the printer, I suggest you transfer it to some sturdier stock so it will last a while.

Here's mine:

Notice I've added diamond points that can be folded back if I want to make a more standard thistle shape - which is almost never. I love diamond point bow ties. Also notice I've made one of the long legs in two pieces. That's because I make my bow ties from old straight ties from the thrift shop. There just isn't enough fabric to do the whole tie so that piece is made from some cheap cotton blend fabric I had laying around. Oh yeah, you'll need to cut two from of the shorter leg pattern - right?

A word on recycling ties. If you look around you'll find some great ties for next to nothing. I have several recycled silk bows and a few synthetic bows as well. Wide ties are the best - they have plenty of fabric. Be sure to check the fabric thickness. Since there is no interfacing in these ties the fabric needs to be sturdy enough that your bow doesn't look like a wilted lilly when its tied - that is unless you like that sort of thing!

Ok - down to business...

Grab your trusty seam ripper and dismantle your carefully chosen recycled tie. Use care here not to damage the fabric. You'll need every square inch of the stuff. By the way - after dismantling several straight ties you'll become quite an expert on the differences between a quality tie - and a cheap tie. Quality ties are a bigger pain in the neck to dismantle!

Once you have the primo fabric separated from the other bits and pieces you'll need to iron it flat.
This is me pretending to use something for an ironing cloth - because I left my "real" one at home today.

Now its time to lay out your pattern pieces. Its a bit like figuring out a jig saw puzzle
but with a little patience you'll soon be ready to trace around your pattern pieces and start cutting.