X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some of my sporrans:

The two horsehair I wear for formal piping gigs and the plain, black leather for piping competitions.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had to recommend one sporran for all occasions (which is how I read your "general purpose" statement -- a sporran that could be worn casually but also work for more formal occasions if needed), it would be one that met the following criteria: high quality black leather, no fur, as little metal as possible, and quality construction. Why? The simplicity of such a sporran (no or little fur or metal) makes it appropriate for casual wear, but the high quality and the choice of black over brown leather means it can potentially pull duty for formal wear, as well.

In my own wardrobe, the sporran that fits that bill is my Ben Glas design from the Ferguson Britt collection. I'm wearing it with my Duke of York kilt below.

Here's a close up image of the Duin Uasial model in black leather, which would also fit the bill.

Ideally, one would have a choice of multiple sporrans for different functions, including brown and black leathers, fur and no fur, etc. Here are some others from my wardrobe.

First, here's one with the body of a Ferguson Britt Duin Uasial Mor, but mounted onto a hinged brass cantle top from another sporran I had. I always get compliments on this one!

I wear this from casual up to the dressier day wear.

Next is my bobcat fur Inverarnan, again made by Ferguson Britt.

Like the above, I wear this for nicer casual, up to dressy day wear.

Looking down into my Inverarnan:

Next is my beaver fur Glengyle sporran, with black leather. This was my first Ferguson Britt sporran.

I've worn this both for formal wear and daywear with outfits for which I thought the darker black leather would be a better compliment.

Here is a very simple black leather daywear sporran with a good sized pouch.

I've since sold that one to a friend of mine, and it has been replaced in my wardrobe with my black Ben Glas FB sporran.

Mask sporrans are also an option. I don't currently own one (though I had half a mind to buy a badger mask sporran a while back. Decided I didn't need one, but I may change my mind again later!). I did "borrow" this silver fox sporran for a Burns Night a couple of years back. Mask sporrans can be good options for evening or day wear.

I do have a hair sporran, though, which I will wear chiefly for evening wear...

Though occasionally for dressier day wear, as well...

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the only sporran in my current wardrobe that I have not included in this post is a plain brown military daywear sporran, like this one:

I like it for its simplicity -- sometimes you just want a really basic sporran with no bells and whistles for daywear. Though I have plans to have a similar style Ferguson Britt sporran made that will eventually replace this one in my wardrobe so I'll most likely sell this one off at that point.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how cool is this thread!!! Its like visiting a "sporran store."

Betcha its gonna be a sporran link for a long time to come.

More, more...lets get them all on here!

Ro
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent advice from so many of you, I cannot name each of you and all I learned from you, but believe that I did learn something from each of you. Thank you and anyone else who would add their pictures and opinions I would greatly appreciate it.

Ladies, let me know what you like to see when it comes to a man's sporran please.
    Last edited by Clan McKinnon; 12th July 09 at 06:23 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my sporran collection:

Two casual black day sporrans to the left, one in my clan emblem, matching beltpouch and sporran in black/brown in center, dress sporrans in bovine and other fur on right.

I also have a white fox mask sporran:

as well as a new dress full mask red fox, but no pictures of it yet.

Lastly I have a primitive brown dyed fox flat mask sporran for real casual wear:

Last edited by ForresterModern; 12th July 09 at 06:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the four I currently own. I've had others which I got rid of for various reasons. But, the four of these cover any occasion I or really most anyone would need a sporran for. I'm working on getting a brown daywear with brass cantle sporran, but the process is slow going. I would also like to get another Furgeson Brit as Robert's recent post has rekindled my love for those. :lol;

From left to right: Ferguson Brit Glengyle in badger fur, a custom carved Pictish Boar sporran made by our own A_Hay!, my brown Freelander custom made by my vague request <3, L&M Full Mask skunk (I love this sporran more and more every time I wear it. )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some seriously nice sporrans in your quivers men, one day i hope to have a few like them and Iam learning a lot here, thank you.

Still would liike to see some posts from the ladies as to what they like for their men to wear in the way of sporrans. Actually like to know what ladies like as far as kilts, shirts, and shoes go too.

bricelythgoe is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my advice: You can look at other sporrans for ideas, but choose what you like. In the book SO YOUR GOING TO WEAR THE KILT! it says the mask sporran is the ONLY one that is both day and formal wear. I disagree. Am I wrong? Maybe, but I really don't want a animal head staring back at me. I ignored the so called rules and decided what I like (I have to give this credit to X marks users. You all taught me to wear what I WANT, not what others think I should wear. Thanks!)

What I found out was that no one had a sporran I wanted in a price that was not going to make me take out a small loan. So, what did I do? I made sporrans the I liked and a fourth of the cost they sell for on line. I see lots of great sporrans from great sporran makers like L&M, Thorfinn, and others. If you have the money, go out and buy them. If you don't, I would suggest finding something you like and making it. (sorry I went beyond the original question)

Brice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My heavens, where did all these come from?

Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast