X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "Jacobite" garb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great kick off for the new forum. Cheers!
    "Before two notes of the theme were played, Colin knew it was Patrick Mor MacCrimmon's 'Lament for the Children'...Sad seven times--ah, Patrick MacCrimmon of the seven dead sons....'It's a hard tune, that', said old Angus. Hard on the piper; hard on them all; hard on the world." Butcher's Broom, by Neil Gunn, 1994 Walker & Co, NY, p. 397-8.

Colonel MacNeal is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Arlington, Texas (land of the bluebonnets)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woodsheal,
    It looks like the same flintlock in both photos. Surely that's not right with a span of 57 years?
    What flintlock is that?
    Cheers, ColMac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian:

Your photos are excellent examples of the historical representation of the kilt! This is what I meant in that other thread about the Jacobites being serious in their reenacting. I hope others will start similar threads in this section. Thanks, Brian!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel MacNeal View Post
    Woodsheal,
    It looks like the same flintlock in both photos. Surely that's not right with a span of 57 years?
    What flintlock is that?
    Cheers, ColMac
    Nothing unusual there. The "Brown Bess" musket ,the official musket of the British army in its various forms, was used by them from about 1720 to 1838.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal View Post
    Here's one, though not that clear: a poor highland "humbly" who can't afford any weapons and has been issued a half-pike!
    The shirt appears white but is actually a tan, unbleached linen. Wool shirts were also common, and poor lads like this would layer shirts for warmth (not being able to afford tailored jackets and such). Knotted neckerchiefs are mentioned in period (17th C.) sources.
    The shirt does NOT have lacing, and buttons at the throat. Shirts of the period can have falling or band collars, and are an item that did not change much (or at all) during the Jacobite era..
    Woodsheal:
    would you say that the shirt pattern, at "http://pages.videotron.com/fldelyse/Patterns.html" (Pattern # NFH 18001 , 18th Century French style Man's Shirt ) would "fit" as Jacobite garb?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal View Post
    ...to continue:

According to J. Telfer Dunbar, the earliest definitive image of the "little kilt" is in a portrait of Alasdair Ruadh MacDonnell of Glengarry, dated to the early 1740's. In the painting, Glengarry himself is wearing a belted plaid, but his henchman to the rear has on a philabeg:

It's a bit hard to see, but those who have seen the original describe that kilt as being pleated in its entire circumference, common to the period. Now, that all-round neat pleating would be rather hard to achieve by throwing 4 yards of fabric out on the ground, hand-pleating it, and belting it on - the way modern reenactors don their "great kilts." A drawstring or pleats stitched into place seems more likely.

But, I'm just speculating (gasp!)....
    I have a question regarding how this praticular period kilt was closed was it with buttons or just a belt?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel MacNeal View Post
    Woodsheal,
    What flintlock is that?
    Cheers, ColMac
    It's a Dutch piece. The Scots imported lots of stuff from the Low Countries through their eastern seaports.

As for age, a span of 57 years in the life of a gun is not unusual for that period. Obsolescence is a modern concept! Muskets from the 1690s were still being used by colonists during the American Revolution....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madman79764 View Post
    I have a question regarding how this praticular period kilt was closed was it with buttons or just a belt?
    Again, we don't know for sure! Belts, buttons, pins, drawstrings, etc are all possibilities, but conjectural....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome pics, Brian. Do you know how often in period dress the tartans and colors were matched (as yours are) versus being a variety of mismatched tartans and colors? I've often heard of outfits of that era being described as a "tartan mess".
    [B][U]Jay[/U][/B]
    [B]Clan Rose[/B]-[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Constant and True[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][I]"I cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblins; In a brand new pair of brogues to ramble o'er the bogs and frighten all the dogs " - D. K. Gavan[/I][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, do you own any bias cut trews? Those seem to be quite rare among reenactors.
    [B][U]Jay[/U][/B]
    [B]Clan Rose[/B]-[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Constant and True[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][I]"I cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblins; In a brand new pair of brogues to ramble o'er the bogs and frighten all the dogs " - D. K. Gavan[/I][/SIZE]

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast