X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First X-Kilt (in ABU)

A huge thanks to Alan for the wonderful X-Kilt instructions! I have downloaded the PDF and printed it all out. I've taken some time to read through it, and hope to wrap my brain around the physics of it when the fabric meets the machine.

All right: I am ordering up 4 yards of ABU camouflage fabric in poly/cotton from Varre Army/Navy in VT. As my unit is moving to ABU (Airman Battle Uniform (USAF digital tigerstripe)), I have to move with the times. I think an X-Kilt will fit the bill perfectly.

Never tackled anything this large before. I've had tons of experience sewing rank insignia, patches and badges, but never really "making" a garment. I'm actually a bit excited and hope I keep slow. I'll keep y'all posted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    order 5 yards just to be safe the extra yard isnt that much more money AND it will sure beat getting to the end and realize your short on material.......

and it will make MUCH more sense when you have it in front of you and start laying it out.. I have NEVER sewn before and I turned out a pretty nice kilt if I say so meself!! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you and Good Luck!! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!
    I DO sew and I totally agree with MMorgan - order extra material! If you don't end up needing it for the kilt, then you've got material for flashes, etc.! Extra NEVER hurts!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you, Sgt!

Here's one thing to watch for. The ABU fabric will be printed with the pattern running across the bolt rather than along the bolt. That means that if you cut your fabric "the long way", the pattern will be rotated 90 degrees from horizontal. You'll have to rip your fabric across the width (rip from selvedge to selvedge) and join the pieces so that the pattern is oriented correctly.

I have a hunk of ABU right here that just came out of the wash. If you don't quite get what I'm saying, let me know and I'll shoot some photos to clarify.
    Kilted Teacher and Wilderness Ranger and proud member of Clan Donald, USA
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.
    New home of Sierra Nevada AND New Belgium breweries!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So he never posted any pics of this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all!
    Sorry for the delay. The ABU fabric came in two days ago, and yes, Tartan Hiker, you are spot on: the print is 90 degrees rotated from what we use for spec pattern. I have cut 4 sections of 30" pieces (and have one more left over). I will sew all of these together, so thank God it is camouflage so as to "hide" the seams. I plan on putting those seams toward the back, in the pleated area.

I was thinking of box-pleat for a long time, but lately I am considering knife-pleat owing to the weight of the material. The poly/cotton is a bit light, so a bunch of knife pleats may add some "hang," if you will. What do you think?

I'm going to start joining the sections tomorrow and will get pics as I go!
    Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a thread from my Freedom Kilt in ABU.
    Airman. Piper. Scholar. - Avatar: MacGregor Tartan
    “KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.” - Ambrose Gwinett Bierce
    www.melbournepipesanddrums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These kind of threads make me almost want to make a kilt out of the Navys new NWU (Navy Working Uniform) material. It s a blue, grey and black digicam. I detest the uniform though. I cant understand why I need to be wearing a battledress uniform on a ship. . . . .

MM3 Bishop
    Last edited by berserkbishop; 7th August 09 at 04:15 PM. Reason: seemed like a good idea. . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Airman. Piper. Scholar. - Avatar: MacGregor Tartan
    “KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.” - Ambrose Gwinett Bierce
    www.melbournepipesanddrums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aquaflage!

Quote Originally Posted by berserkbishop View Post
    These kind of threads make me almost want to make a kilt out of the Navys new NWU (Navy Working Uniform) material. It s a blue, grey and black digicam. I detest the uniform though. I cant understand why I need to be wearing a battledress uniform on a ship. . . . .

MM3 Bishop
    As an ex-soldier married to a sailor I don't understand why either. It only seems to work as camouflage if you fall overboard! Not a very desirable quality in a Navy uniform.
    "O, why the deuce should I repine, and be an ill foreboder?
    I'm twenty-three, and five feet nine, I'll go and be a sodger!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast