X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show of Hands for Elsie's XMTS Kiltmaking Course!

Elsie Stuehmeyer (of The Art of Kiltmaking fame) has tossed me the idea of a Northern California kiltmaking course sometime in Feb/Mar 2010 - with a special invitation to any XMTS members who can walk, bike, drive, fly or catch the inbound Saltire zepplin. Her idea is to stay local for personal reasons as well as to save travel expenses.

The date has not yet been set. It is generally a five-day course starting on a Saturday and ending on Wednesday.

What is needed is a show of hands expressing interest and, perhaps, an indication of the preferred dates in February or March, which I will communicate back to her.

w2f
    - - - - - - - - -

p.s. Elsie's next course is coming up in October 2009 in Southern California. Her sponsor is Diana Tillery at R. P. Blandford and Son, found here: http://www.blandfordimports.com/
    "Listen Men.... You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the Lowlander." 1782 Repeal.
    Lady From Hell vs Neighbor From Hell @ [url]http://way2noisy.blogspot.com[/url]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still fairly new to X Marks (long-time reader) so please excuse the possibly dumb questions. Is this the same kilt making course that was at the Scottish Tartans Museum in North Carolina last year? Is anyone doing a course on the East Coast? I really want to get into one of these courses, and while I prefer closer to home for logistics, my husband works for Delta.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacKay71 Wife View Post
    Is this the same kilt making course that was at the Scottish Tartans Museum in North Carolina last year?
    It is the same course. The N.C. course last year was taught by Barb T; these two in California are taught by Elsie.

Quote Originally Posted by MacKay71 Wife View Post
    Is anyone doing a course on the East Coast?
    The next one on the East Coast I am aware of will be at the annual Braemar School of Dance next July 2010 in Troy, NY.

Also, annual consideration of an XMTS Kilt Kamp is underway somewhere in these fora (place and date still being examined.)

w2f
    "Listen Men.... You are no longer bound down to the unmanly dress of the Lowlander." 1782 Repeal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! I appreciate it!
    Anytime during June and July is definitely out for me as I work High Adventure Staff at a Boy Scout summer camp during that period of time. (Just got home for the summer Friday night!) Any other time of the year is totally negotiable.

Retired Forum Moderator Chairman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you be a lillte more specic as to where in NorCal. last time I looked that covered quite a lot of ground.

Brian

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am generally interested depending upon cost and timing. I will watch the forum for more information.
    Bob
    If you can't be good, be entertaining!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEDEE View Post
    Can you be a lillte more specic as to where in NorCal. last time I looked that covered quite a lot of ground.

Brian
    Likely somewhere in Petaluma, CA, where Elsie lives. It's a beautiful place forty miles north of San Francisco and only a coastal mountains drive away from Point Reyes National Seashore and other stunning places.

However, participants get locked away for five days under the stern tutelage of a master kiltmaker -

-who seemingly has eyes in the back of her head and sees EVERY mark, stitch or cut EVERY student makes -

- and constantly corrects your posture and how you're holding the kilt-in-progress -

- and assigns sewing homework at night in dimly lit motel rooms so the class can move on to other things the next day

- and says, "You paid for my knowledge, now do as I tell you." :yes: )

Worth her weight in gold.

w2f

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I come for only part of the course? Petaluma is not a hardship (my mother lives there after all), but 5 days off in a row, after this vacation I'm currently on, might be hard to pull off.

Count me in...I'll figure out the time off somehow.

Be well,

Star

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fractious View Post
    However, participants get locked away for five days under the stern tutelage of a master kiltmaker -

-who seemingly has eyes in the back of her head and sees EVERY mark, stitch or cut EVERY student makes -

- and constantly corrects your posture and how you're holding the kilt-in-progress -

- and assigns sewing homework at night in dimly lit motel rooms so the class can move on to other things the next day

- and says, "You paid for my knowledge, now do as I tell you." :yes: )

Worth her weight in gold.

w2f
    You forgot "who walks around after everyone else is done for the night, inspecting their work, and if she doesn't think the pleats are up to snuff - she takes them out."

But still worth every penny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds awesome! I would love to make my own tank!

Hmmm, but what tartan? There are so many to choose from...
    Michael the Farlander

Loch Sloy!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast