X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wastcoats and Jackets

Ok I am going to ask this question again now that we have a Historical attire section. I am looking for a pattern for a "Rob Roy" jacket. i am putting it in "" as to not offend anyone.

I am sure most ppl are familier with the jacket i am talking about. I have found 1 or 2 for sale but, i cant shell out 500-800 $ . I would rather try my hand at a cloth one and work up to a leather one..this is the waist coat in question.
    this would be a Vendor made one, its nice i have tried it one many many many times.

Thank you

Billy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how historically accurate that jacket is-- it looks pretty Hollywood History of the Highlands to me-- but I would think it would be within anyone's reasonable skill set to be able to make a wearable copy. You might try asking if someone knows where you could get a pattern for it, or something reasonably similar. You might also ask Woodsheal or some of the other "living history" boffins to give you their opinion as to how historically accurate the jacket is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was my goal in posting this. i figured it might have been a hollywood make over, but i still like that style. A pattern of the jacket or a how to amend pattern to fit the jacket, is what i am looking for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what jacket you are referring to, but Reconstructing History may have something you can use. I talked to them about an 18th Century highland jacket and they recommended I use the 1760 frock coat pattern and just shorten it. They may have something you could modify. If you don't see what you're looking for, call them - they are very friendlly and helpful.

https://www.reconstructinghistory.com
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
    I'm not sure what jacket you are referring to, but Reconstructing History may have something you can use. I talked to them about an 18th Century highland jacket and they recommended I use the 1760 frock coat pattern and just shorten it. They may have something you could modify. If you don't see what you're looking for, call them - they are very friendlly and helpful.

https://www.reconstructinghistory.com
    Thank you Sir William,
    I will take a close look at that pattern and see if it will accommodate my needs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're actually seeking a "look" from Rob Roy's active period - say, 1700 to 1720 - here's a short jacket pattern that'd be just right for the common clansman:

https://www.reconstructinghistory.co...ALL&p=416&w=21

For a full-blown chieftain's look, you'd take a coat pattern like this but make it shorter (waist length) to accomodate the belted plaid:

https://www.reconstructinghistory.co...=ALL&p=68&w=21

This is a bit earlier than the pattern Sir William suggested, and more in tune with Rob Roy's era, as opposed to the '45....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that Potomac place is proud of their stuff! try this place; http://www.ravenswoodleather.com/Jer...ighlander.html
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    Wow, that Potomac place is proud of their stuff! try this place; http://www.ravenswoodleather.com/Jer...ighlander.html
    Not bad for earlier in the 1600's, except for the odd sleeve fastenings. Most doublets and waistcoats were constructed of wool fabric, though deerskin items probably saw use in the highlands....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These two images are from the Rob Roy period, ca. 1710, as are the famous paintings of the Champion and Piper of Grant. "Slashings" in the jacket were obviously still quite fashionable:

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Woodsheal and Zardoz. i am looking to do a cross between the Rob Roy look but give it a modern look as i can wear it out to the local store or any place i normally wear my kilts. I have a "ren faire Doublet" that i thought of using as a pattern and cut the waist a little higher.

Woodsheal do you have any photo's( taken in modern times) of clothing from that era? (the rob roy era that is)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast