X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I play a set of 1939-40 Full Ivory Robertsons. Refinished by Sinclair in Scotland in 1986. Nice drones and what a sound. Currently play a Naill Blackwood Chanter.

:ootd:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a stand of Dunfions (#3 - Army Regulation). But, that does not tell the entire tale does it? This refers of the three drones, only. My bag is a Canmore large; my chanter is a Shepherd; my chanter reed is a Soutar medium strength; and, my drone reeds are EZDrones or Wygents, depending on my mood. The Dunfion drones give out a very mellow tone that I like very much. The brass sleeving inside the drones make the pipes a bit heavier than other pipes, too. BTW, the name for the pipes come from a small, ruined stone fort on the hilltop above the pipe-maker's home near Broddick, Isle of Arran, Scotland.
    Last edited by Jack Daw; 29th September 09 at 01:32 PM.

The Soup Dragon is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I play a set of Naill DN-4 with a Black wood Naill Chanter, MacLellan reed, and Rocket Drone reeds. I am currently looking to switch to a Cane Bass drone and two easy tenor drone reeds.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    QUOTE from Scottishpiper
    I was also wondering if there was a great difference in makes of bagpipes people buy from various parts of the world?

If what you mean is, do pipers in different parts of the world tend to buy different makes of pipes, that sure seems to be true, despite the "globalisation" of everything, the internet, etc.

An example: a guy who plays in a pipe band in Ireland bought a set of US made pipes (MacLellans if I recall correctly) and no one in his band or in any other band in his area has ever seen a set in person.

You'll see far more US-made pipes in US bands than in UK bands etc.

Then there's situations where there will be an influential teacher in an area and whatever make of pipes he recommends will be common in that area.
    Around here there are loads of Gibsons.

Another situation is when a local teacher and/or band leader is actually an agent/dealer for a particular make so you'll see loads of that make in the area.

Are there any other companies apart from McCallum, Henderson, Hardie, Lawrie and MacPhersons?

Lawrie hasn't been in business since the 1970's.

There are two MacPherson makes: Hugh MacPherson Edinburgh was a Highland dress shop who from 1946-1957 sold Sinclair pipes stamped "MacPherson Sinclair". In 1957 MacPherson bought out Sinclair and then the pipes were simply stamped MacPherson. In 1962 Sinclair bought his business back but MacPherson pipes continued to be made into the 1970's.
    Then there's the current Scottish maker Doug MacPherson.

Hardie stopped making pipes a number of years ago but a new company, the St Kilda Group, has recently aquired the Hardie name and with it the Henderson name and is making pipes stamped both Hardie and Henderson. I'm told that regardless of stamp the pipes have old Henderson bores.

It's a funny thing how the names of famous makers of the past are bought and sold as a commodity in Scotland. Peter Henderson called his pipes "Peter Henderson" (what a novel idea, using your own actual name) but then in the 1960's Hardie aquired the Henderson name and you'll see pipes with the narrow Hardie bores bearing the Henderson stamp. Then a couple years ago the St Kilda Group aquired both the Hardie and Henderson name.
    So you now have three Hendersons to keep straight 1) Hendersons made by the original Henderson firm 2) Hendersons made by Hardie and 3) Hendersons made by St Kilda.

But anyhow there are loads of current Highland pipe makers.

Off the top of my head you have:

Scotland:
    McCallum
    Dunfion
    St Kilda/Hardie/Henderson
    Blue MacMurchie
    Doug MacPherson
    Ian Murray
    Shepherd
    Sinclair
    Jim Wallace
    Booth
    Tim Gellaitry
    Inveran House (J Tweedy)
    McLeod (Glasgow)
    Alistair Fletcher

England:
    Naill

Canada:
    Dunbar
    Walsh

USA:
    Atherton
    MacLellan
    Gibson
    Cushing
    Crisler
    Kron

South Africa
    Chris Terry

I'm sure there are more Canadian makers plus Australian and New Zealand makers.

My own pipes are African Blackwood Dunbars. Dunbar, sadly, is mostly known as a maker of polypenco pipes but this is grossly unfair as Dunbar makes fine blackwood pipes on par with anything made today, pipes which have that classic old Henderson look and tone.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 9th November 09 at 06:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of Dunbar P3's, purchased for their durability and low maintainence ( we do a lot of camping, and have 11 grandkids). I also have a set of chalice topped, blackwood, Kintails. I have Omega tenors and a cane bass in the Dunbars, with an Apps reed in the Dunbar chanter. I have Henderson tenors and a cane bass in the Kintails, with an Apps reed in the Forbes chanter (40's - 50's vintage). I like the Dunbars for bad weather use, and parades. The Kintails are my choice for most solo work, and reenactments, plus, with the older chanter, they tune in well with my instructor's older Robertsons.
    I also have a set of pipes of middle eastern origin that I bought when I decided to take up the pipes. The most recent use they've seen is as "stunt pipes" in a school theatrical skit. I loaned them out, showed the teacher how to cork the bottom of the drones and chanter so they would stay inflated, and the "piper" could pretend to play to the soundtrack.
    Also in the stable are two sets of Walsh smallpipes, A & D, and a set of "parlor pipes", likely of middle eastern origin, that my wife brought me back from Switzerland (of all places) a few years ago. They don't sound bad, but are louder than I'd expect, given their size.
    All skill and effort is to no avail when an angel pees down your drones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scotland:
    McCallum
    Dunfion
    St Kilda/Hardie/Henderson
    Blue MacMurchie
    Doug MacPherson
    Ian Murray
    Shepherd
    Sinclair
    Jim Wallace
    Booth
    Tim Gellaitry
    Inveran House (J Tweedy)
    McLeod (Glasgow)
    Alistair Fletcher

England:
    Naill

Canada:
    Dunbar
    Walsh

USA:
    Atherton
    MacLellan
    Gibson
    Cushing
    Crisler
    Kron

South Africa
    Chris Terry
    I can't believe you omitted "Duncan Soutar-Scotland" or "Colin Kyo-USA"...for shame!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a stand of Dunfion's No.3 - Army Regulation pipes, and my chanter is a Shepherd. The drones have what I perceive to be a mellower tone than most pipes based on the different reeds I've used over the years. I've been tempted to buy other brands that pipers have offered me, but why change what has worked well for me. No need to trade them in like a car. Besides, she has a name - NicCosheam!

The pipes were made near Brodick, Isle of Arran, Scotland. I was lucky to visit Henry Murdo, the maker (by hand), when I traveled to Scotland in 2003. He's also a piper and student of the Gaelic. His house he built using some of the stones from the ruins of Dun Fion, from above his house.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345