X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wearing a tartan if not Celtic heritage

I'm sure this has been answer at least a jillion times, so here's a jillion plus 1.

Not being a Scot, I feel it is a privilege to wear a kilt. My wife and I talked about me getting a tartan one for dress wear. Because tartans are associated with families and I have no wish to offend -- I assume it wouldn't be polite to wear a particular clan's tartan when one is not of that family or heritage -- what could I wear?

Hope I'm asking this right.

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the same boat as you are. There are many Universal Tartans that you can wear. I would advise looking on one of our sponsors sites. This from USA Kilts web site.

Please Note: While there are no real rules about what tartans people are “entitled” to wear, if you are more comfortable wearing a “Universal Tartan” that was specifically designed for everyone, we’ve marked them with a ** beside the tartan names in the “Tartan Gallery”.
    Credit to Rocky and USA kilts.

Look at his tartan gallery your will see many that you can may feel comfortable wearing. just look for the ** beside the name.

I have a feeling that was very wordy. I do apologize and will now stop talking err typing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are uncomfortable about wearing a clan tartan, there are district tartans, universal tartans, fashion tartans, even some corporate tartans are available to you. You can browse through thousands here:
    http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/az.aspx
    [B][U]Jay[/U][/B]
    [B]Clan Rose[/B]-[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Constant and True[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][I]"I cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblins; In a brand new pair of brogues to ramble o'er the bogs and frighten all the dogs " - D. K. Gavan[/I][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    ..there are district tartans, universal tartans, fashion tartans, even some corporate tartans are available to you.
    Yay! Jay! Thanks a ton. I have lots of ideas now -- Canada, British Columbia, Orkney, ....

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget PA!
    We do have one of the better state tartans (although I may be a bit biased about that )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, I would offer one piece of advice and it is this - find a connection to the tartan you choose. You can stretch the truth and twist it; you can be inventive and exaggerate, but what ever you do find that connection. One day someone will ask you why you are wearing 'that' tartan and you are going to have to look them in the eye and tell them. Even a very tenuous link is better than saying 'I just love the colours'. That would make you sound frivolous and foolish; a connection makes you sound serious and strong minded.

Just a thought.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I can see what Chas is saying and I agree but with what Tony is first saying makes me ponder also!

Me being in the Army, Marines and the National Guard you are only authorized to wear the medals that are assinged to you. I was never one to be a PX Private and just wear a ribbon because I liked the colors?

So in my case is it better to wear and not to offend your true heritage from your fathers name or can it be handed down from your mothers side as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you say you have NO scottish connection. have a look at Isle of Skye.

Beautiful universal tartan (meaning anyone can wear it) with the added bonus of instant membership to the Global IoS owners club (I don't think you get a certificate or a badge though )

There are lots of pictures on here to help you see what it looks like made up (use the search facility in the 'show us your pics' section).

One thing though, beware of cheap (and frankly nasty) imitations.

As you are in North America, speak to, or email Freedom Kilts or USA kilts through the sponsors links on here for the real deal and more info regarding pricing.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would second the idea of an Isle of Skye kilt it really is a beautiful tartan here are a few photos.

As for the question about wearing either your mothers or fathers tartan it is my experience that you can wear either one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wompet View Post
    Don't forget PA!
    We do have one of the better state tartans (although I may be a bit biased about that )
    Yes, the PA tartan is Beautiful.
    [B][U]Jay[/U][/B]
    [B]Clan Rose[/B]-[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Constant and True[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][I]"I cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblins; In a brand new pair of brogues to ramble o'er the bogs and frighten all the dogs " - D. K. Gavan[/I][/SIZE]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast