X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I being unreasonable?

I find myself on the horns of a dilemma and seek advice. On 06/07/2009 I placed an order with Scotweb. An Argyll jacket and waistcoat. I ordered one of the optional colors vs. the usual black, so while this was not a bespoke item, it wasn't the usual line either. The estimate was, and is, "4 to 6 weeks to dispatch."

I was initially given an estimated dispatch date of 07/22/2009. Fine. When 07/22 rolled around, I checked the website. My order was "awaiting stock" with a new estimated delivery date of 08/14/2009. Fine.

On 08/08/2009 I wrote to ask about the reliability of that estimate, as I have an event at the end of the month that I was hoping to have the outfit for. I realize now that I should have informed Scotweb of the deadline when I ordered, but I reasoned that if they expected to deliver in 4 to 6 weeks, I had more than sufficient time. When Scotweb replied, I was given a new estimated dispatch date of 09/07/2009.

Following the advice found on Nick's sticky, I then wrote to complaints@scotwebstore.com on 08/09/2009. The reply, dated 08/09/2009 (and kudos for replying on Sunday!)was "We will check with the makers tomorrow morning, and do all we can to get this order moving."

On 08/10/2009 I received another message stating that "Our records suggest that this order is expected to ship on the 14 August 2009."

On 08/17/2009 the order was still listed as "awaiting stock." I again wrote to complaints@scotwebstore.com. This time, I received no reply. I did notice that the estimated dispatch date was changed to 08/20/2009.

Well.....that's today. The website still says "awaiting stock." and since it's mid-evening in Scotland, I doubt anyone is still in the office working the problem.

I realize that Scotweb is dependent upon their suppliers. I realize we've all been spoiled stupid by near instant availability of consumer products. But but is it reasonable to advertise that an item is expect to ship in 4 to 6 week when the item can, by all appearances, not be obtained by any means in less than 10 weeks?

So. Advice please! Am I being unreasonable? What would you do in my situation?

Thanks!
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's bad. I've been in a similar situation with a couple of clothing websites. I had to contact them by phone 3 times in 2 weeks - each time with them blaming the current sale for the reason of orders being delayed. I gave it 2 more weeks and contacted them once more. They said the products weren't in stock, were end of line and I'd receive a full refund.
    I had to phone THEM 4 times for them to finally tell me this and then offer a refund. I then received an email the day after phoning stating one of the items was in stock and would be sent to me asap. It arrived 4 days later and I was partially refunded about a week later.

Was very confusing. I think companies need to provide accurate information to their staff more often.
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I am in a possible similar boat, I have a dealine that I have informed them off, though I am getting a kilt in a somewhat rare tartan I believe...so here's to hoping!

Though no, I mean I am on edge to get my stuff, as I am sure you are. I can understand that estimates get mangled but that's a looooong extension.... I'd be on edge too. of course you force yourself to try and be patient, but I'm learning you shouldn't try and seperate a kilted from his kilt!

I empathize, and wish you luck. I am hopeful for both of us.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would perhaps send Nick a PM here and a person email. Nick is a member here and goes by:
    Nick (Scotweb)

I have found Nick to be wonderful to deal with on a personal level, so that's what I'd do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I would perhaps send Nick a PM here and a person email. Nick is a member here and goes by:
    Nick (Scotweb)

I have found Nick to be wonderful to deal with on a personal level, so that's what I'd do.
    I admit to not having tried that. I read on Nick's sticky that:
    "Every email we send out includes a special email address (complaints@) that goes direct to the retail management team, and is copied to myself. This is the best route to use."

And:

"You can also PM me directly from this board, particularly if you're still unhappy after using the 'complaints@' email address. But I am not always around, and cannot guarantee as quick a response that way."

Nevertheless an excellent suggestion, and I've sent Nick a PM.
    'A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having the same problem, though my problem is on the mill, Apparently Batli has shut down production (temporarily?). I'm in the middle of email correspondence. I hope it works out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will just sit patiently for mine, and hope, haha.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you said, middlemen are dependent on their suppliers.

I've ordered two argylls and a P.C., all three made-to-measure from Lochcarron through my kiltmaker. Didn't have to wait for a production run since they were made-to-measure. All arrived in less than three months.

Point is you might have been better off ordering a made-to-measure argyll through ScotWeb than ordering an off the rack size.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This can happen to us all. I'm still waiting on a kilt I ordered more than a year ago.
    Past President, St. Andrew's Society of the Inland Northwest
    Member, Royal Scottish Country Dance Society
    Founding Member, Celtic Music Spokane
    Member, Royal Photographic Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guy in the Kilt at UC View Post
    I am having the same problem, though my problem is on the mill, Apparently Batli has shut down production (temporarily?). I'm in the middle of email correspondence. I hope it works out.
    I is my understanding that most mills in Scotland close down production for the summer. I guess summer is not the "high season" for wool.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast