X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Soup Dragon View Post
    I get this rot-gut felling in my stomach when I drink Whisk(e)y. This may date back to one unexperienced night in Undergrad. when I was drinking away engineering sorrow and not drinking to enjoy (never make this mistake again). Now, older, wiser, curious and drinking for pleasure, I really want this to be a go to night cap.

Any thoughts?
    There are some general characteristics of scotch that come from its region of production. Obviously, these are not hard rules, but are often generally true:
    - Highland malts are smoky and smooth
    - Island malts from their salt laden atmosphere have a strong peatiness
    - Islay malt, distinguished by peat from their water and the burning of peat to dry the malted barley
    - Lowland malt, mildest of the scotches with subtle flavors of barley malt

Irish whiskey tends to be lighter in flavor and less smoky than scotch. Canadian whisky is perhaps some of the smoothest of all. A great example of a really smooth Canadian is Black Velvet.

So, with the above in mind, one might try doing a little tasting at your local good bar with some friends. Start with a Canadian, then try an Irish, then perhaps an American. Finally work your way up to a fine Scottish elixir. Note that you may choose to NOT do this all the same day.

As you discover what you like from the above tasting, you then might consider purchasing a bottle of something that you can really enjoy.

Slainte!
    Michael the Farlander

Loch Sloy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post
    Oban 14 for me, so many wonderful memories.

Rob
    Yes mine also... I try others and find them grand but Oban is the Grandest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
    Don't spit out all the blends - Famous Grouse and Black Bottle are good for mixed drinks, like the now uncommon Rob Roy, with which I like to challenge bartenders' knowledge.

You say this, and I have no doubt it's true, but I often have to explain what "neat" means to many of the waitresses and bartenders here....it's sad really....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    ...I often have to explain what "neat" means to many of the waitresses and bartenders here...
    I've noticed that same thing when I order scotch at restaurants or bars. I've resorted to ordering my scotch "straight up" at bars in order to avoid having to scream the definition of neat over the music. I almost never get scotch at bars anyway because they tend to charge $10-$14 for one drink.
    [B][U]Jay[/U][/B]
    [B]Clan Rose[/B]-[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Constant and True[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][I]"I cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblins; In a brand new pair of brogues to ramble o'er the bogs and frighten all the dogs " - D. K. Gavan[/I][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I've noticed that same thing when I order scotch at restaurants or bars. I've resorted to ordering my scotch "straight up" at bars in order to avoid having to scream the definition of neat over the music. I almost never get scotch at bars anyway because they tend to charge $10-$14 for one drink.
    I have had the exact opposite problem of having to reitierate my choice of "straight" as being equivalent to "neat" in many places, sometimes one way and sometimes the other, depending on the level of swank inherent in the "joint" and the bartender/waitperson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's because a good many bartenders are not trained - they learn on the job. But, Sarah the untrained bartender at Sherlock's at Willowbrook knows how to make a very spicy Bloody Mary!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glengoyne 30 years is very nice, but for a bottle on the cheap Speyburn isn't bad.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean I would expect that if you're a bartender, it'd be basic information knowing what serving a spirirt neat is!! I die a little inside knowing I am not the only one, haha..

Just as a side note that made me die a lot inside, the other day i ordered a glass of cognac, and she asked me if i wanted ice in it....WHO DRINKS COGANC ON ICE?! the whole reason of the brandy snifter is that you hold the glass and it warms it up.... oh..and it didn't come in a brandy snifter either, a glass of remi martin XO no less.... i was dissapointed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    They are all good, it is just that some are better than others.
    I have to agree with Jock on this. Usually my favorite is the current bottle that's open at home

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    So many good single malts it seems a shame to leave them out, but Balvenie 21 year portwood is hand down the best I've had.
    I would say that it is the 2nd or 3rd smoothest I've had. The others were older versions of Balvenie and Glenfiddich.

Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    My favorite...whatever you're pouring!

-Tim
    ALWAYS my most favorite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laphroig is the best I've tasted, which isn't many. I'll have to try some of these others I'm seeing.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast