X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bricelythgoe is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st Annual Cace Valley Highland Games and Festival

Yesterday was the first time, in Utah, that we have had more than 1 festival and highland games gathering. The started a new tradition by having one up north in Cache Valley. I have not verified this, but one of their big things leading up to it was that the first Scottish immigrants that came to Utah settled in the Cache Valley. It is not as big as the one done down at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi, Utah. However, it was still a lot of fun. Plus, the scenery was breath taking. It was at a place called The American West Heritage Center. Here are some pictures and video of the festival and games.

Here is a video of what the area looked like. Highland dancing was going on, so you will here the announcer talking about that.

Here are some pictures of the location as well.

The next video is of some highland dancing. We really had a special treat for these games. Kelsey Crane, who is a native of Utah, and has one the U.S. national title 4 times in her age division. She also placed 3rd in the world competitions in 2007 in Scotland. (Here is the link to the story in the local paper - http://www.standard.net/live/news/181457/). The video is not the best quality, sorry.

Of course this would not be a good post without some pictures and video of the massed bands.

Here is a picture of my by a grove of trees. It was beautiful place to have the games.

Here is an interesting picture. I felt really sorry for this gentleman. He was taking pictures with lots of people (I assume because it was his first time in a kilt). The reason I think that is because his kilt was on backwards. If you look closely, he had his pleats to the front.

My wife kept telling me that maybe he liked it that way. I am not sure, but he did look a little silly. Maybe I should have said something.

It was a great morning. I was not able to see any x markers there. I think because me and my wife were there early, in order to get back home so my little boy could have his nap time (all you parents know how important that can be). I got one comment from 2 younger guys walking in. While laughing at me they said I looked good in a kilt. It was obvious they were making fun, but I just ignored them. I had too much fun to let them ruin it.
    Last edited by bricelythgoe; 30th August 09 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the any ADMIN:

Should I have put this in a different section?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At a quick glance those pictures could be in Scotland. At a closer look, it looks warmer than here and the "barn" is not of our style. Thank you for showing the pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    At a quick glance those pictures could be in Scotland. At a closer look, it looks warmer than here and the "barn" is not of our style. Thank you for showing the pictures.
    The games were held at a place that had a lot of history about the American West (i.e. Mountain Men). So it was interesting to see a bunch of men in kilts and quite a few mountain men as well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still contend that common sense demands pleats be worn to the front...that way we have something smooth to sit on without wrinkling and creasing the lovely pleats. Many first time kilties logic it out that way.

Have been through that area before - it is lovely...maybe next year...never know...

And missed the Raspberry Festival in Garden City again this year....grumble...

Gotta poke around up north a bit more.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    I still contend that common sense demands pleats be worn to the front...that way we have something smooth to sit on without wrinkling and creasing the lovely pleats. Many first time kilties logic it out that way.

Have been through that area before - it is lovely...maybe next year...never know...

And missed the Raspberry Festival in Garden City again this year....grumble...

Gotta poke around up north a bit more.

Ron
    Might I add that the rasberry shakes this year were the best!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to wonder how many people talked with and didn't tell him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    I still contend that common sense demands pleats be worn to the front...that way we have something smooth to sit on without wrinkling and creasing the lovely pleats.

snip...

Ron

I guess it depends on whether you are sitting, or fighting, or marching across a glen.

and

GREAT looking 1st Highland games!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photo/video tour.

So when are we going to see the Utah Centennial Tartan in a kilt? On my end, I am saving my pennies and making a few inquiries.

All the best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We looked for you...I figured you would be in your Lamont kilt. I noticed the Lamont and MacPherson (our clan) Clan tents were right next to each other!

You're right though, we didn't get there until noon. It would have been much nicer to be there in the morning but I was lazy. It was soooo hot and muggy that afternoon. We didn't stay long.......I was knocked on my butt by morning (or noon as the case may be) sickness so we were only there for an hour or two.

--Chelsea McMurdo--
    This post is a natural product made from Recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast