X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World War 1 - Cameron Highlanders

I was wondering if anyone has information on the uniforms worn by the Cameron Highlanders during the war. The great one ;)

The best I could find were paintings with little detail. What I;m looking for is a gear list, photographs, written descriptions. I would prefer primary sources, but at this point Ill take anything!

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 79thReproductions View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has information on the uniforms worn by the Cameron Highlanders during the war. The great one ;)

The best I could find were paintings with little detail. What I;m looking for is a gear list, photographs, written descriptions. I would prefer primary sources, but at this point Ill take anything!
    Not off hand, but perhaps someone here can assist: http://www.qohldrs.co.uk/html/further_information.html

I hope it helps.
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found This:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google, Clan Cameron Museum Achnacarry, or, Regimental Museum of the Highlanders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a reenactment Group that does the 7th Battalion of The Black Watch (RHR). If you go to their site they have links to WW1 Scottish units including the Black Watch of Canada and the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders. Lots of pictures and equipment lists as well.
    By Choice, not by Birth

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off the top of my head, I can think of two titles -- both are out-of-print, but any library, public or academic, should be able to track them down via interlibrary loan:

Chappell, Michael. Scottish Divisions in the World Wars.* Ospresy Publishing:

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/stor..._9781855324695

*Originally entitled Scottish Units in the World Wars.

Mileham, Patrick. Scottish Regiments 1633-1996. De Capo Press, 2001.

More to follow, I'm sure.

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NorCalPiper is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly....When i was about 15-I was given a WW1 Black Watch AND a Cameron kilt from a n older couple in my neighborhood (I was heavy into bagpiping then, and it seemed that if someone had anything Scottish that they didn't want-They'd drop by and give it to me). Anyway, These kilts were bulky and musty and I really had no use for them.....Until the day my friend and I found out that the Pogues were coming to town! We sported them and I can tell you by the end of the show, pleats were ripped, beer spilled all over them....Basically trashed (Any of you who have been to a Pogues show in the mid-80's will know why). They both went right into the trash that night.....I'm kicking myself for that to this day.....Oh yeah my point-The Cameron was bulky and had like...snap buttons on the inside as well as buttons. I was never really sure what either was for. I now think that suspenders were for the buttons, but the snap buttons (The kind with the tiny holes-not like on your jeans) I have not a clue. Both kilts had them. Thats a detail thats worth looking into for authenticity.