X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What jacket do you wear to a wedding?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tweed

30 47.62%
  • Plain Argyll

21 33.33%
  • Prince Charlie

9 14.29%
  • Doublet (Regimental etc.)

2 3.17%
  • other (please state in reply)

1 1.59%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is what i wore at my mates in July i was the only one there with a self tie ruche everyone had the pre-tied ones which i felt looked silly having spent so much time getting the look right to be spoiled with a plastic part on a tie on full show just didn't appeal to me
    i think the waistcoat/vest just tidies the look up when the jacket needs to come off later in the evening
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/p...pictureid=3224

the image is myself on the right and my young brother who survived cancer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    Yes - I probably should have said. I have been told he's wearing a morning suit.
    There you go: your black Argyll with your new silk tie is ideal. You'll look like a million quid.

I'm desperate to show off my Prince Charlie but I realise it's considered too formal...
    It's not too formal Paul---the groom is going formal. It's simply the wrong time of day. The PC is black tie, and black tie is evening wear.

You could spice up your Argyll with diced hose and a silk cravat to match the groom's morning suit. It's not required; and if the other guests/family members are not dolling up to that extent, then it might be considered over the top.
    Ken Sallenger - apprentice kiltmaker, journeyman curmudgeon,
    gainfully unemployed systems programmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fluter View Post
    There you go: your black Argyll with your new silk tie is ideal. You'll look like a million quid.

It's not too formal Paul---the groom is going formal. It's simply the wrong time of day. The PC is black tie, and black tie is evening wear.

You could spice up your Argyll with diced hose and a silk cravat to match the groom's morning suit. It's not required; and if the other guests/family members are not dolling up to that extent, then it might be considered over the top.
    Thanks for good advice!
    I think I'll stick with the silk tie... I think it's on a perfect level of formality for the event... I do love my cravat though!
    The diced hose are really nice. They go well (but not perfectly) with my kilt... I'll wait for my Argyll cuffs to make a final decision on that and I know what great people on a great forum will aid me on if I'm stuck for a decision on that!

I'll post pictures when I get a chance to try everything on.
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul.

Just because the groom and probably the best man and perhaps the ushers too may be wearing morning suits, the guests may not be. So it is a judgement call for you. As I understand it and I may have misunderstood, you are attending this wedding as a guest. Might I suggest you try a modest amount of scouting to find out what the GUESTS are wearing. If they are wearing lounge suits, for example, it may pay you to tone down your attire a wee tad. A tweed argyll would be perfect in this case. OK I know you don't have one! But you would not want to be the only guest in a morning suit would you? If guests are wearing morning suits too, then get stuck in, with all the gear!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Paul.

Just because the groom and probably the best man and perhaps the ushers too may be wearing morning suits, the guests may not be. So it is a judgement call for you. As I understand it and I may have misunderstood, you are attending this wedding as a guest. Might I suggest you try a modest amount of scouting to find out what the GUESTS are wearing. If they are wearing lounge suits, for example, it may pay you to tone down your attire a wee tad. A tweed argyll would be perfect in this case. OK I know you don't have one! But you would not want to be the only guest in a morning suit would you? If guests are wearing morning suits too, then get stuck in, with all the gear!
    Well I doubt that anyone other than the groom, best man and perhaps a few others will be wearing morning suits. I know my dad isnt and I know 3 of my cousins are wearing regular suits. I've been told my uncle's brother-in-law and a few other on his side own kilts and will probably wear them. I remember seeing pictures of my auntie and uncles wedding and the same guys were wearing Prince Charlies... I don't know if they learned much since then!
    Is the Argyll a morning suit? I thought it was simply a general suit jacket alternative for a kilt... after all - they look very similar.
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    Well I doubt that anyone other than the groom, best man and perhaps a few others will be wearing morning suits. I know my dad isnt and I know 3 of my cousins are wearing regular suits. I've been told my uncle's brother-in-law and a few other on his side own kilts and will probably wear them. I remember seeing pictures of my auntie and uncles wedding and the same guys were wearing Prince Charlies... I don't know if they learned much since then!
    Is the Argyll a morning suit? I thought it was simply a general suit jacket alternative for a kilt... after all - they look very similar.
    In rough terms a tweed argyll(with waistcoat probably) is the kilt equivalent of a suit and a black barathea,silver buttoned argyll is the kilt equivalent to morning dress(suit).If you want to do it right then this is the way to go,but, I repeat but, you, your uncles and everyone else have to wear what they have, which is not necessarily what they ought to have, so don't get all wound up about it, if I were you. Have fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    In rough terms a tweed argyll(with waistcoat probably) is the kilt equivalent of a suit and a black barathea,silver buttoned argyll is the kilt equivalent to morning dress(suit).If you want to do it right then this is the way to go,but, I repeat but, you, your uncles and everyone else have to wear what they have, which is not necessarily what they ought to have, so don't get all wound up about it, if I were you. Have fun!
    I thought a tweed was an equilivant of a tweed to be honest. I quite like a lot of tweeds but I've reverted back to a mainstate that they dont suit me.
    I'm looking through a tonne of wedding pictures that one of the photographers I know has taken. You can spot out the stock outfits and hired outfits... apart from them there's a variety of Argylls and Prince Charlies - with some tweeds... I've only seen one non-black/grey tweed so far though.
    As you said - I should have fun! I'd be pretty comfortable in a black Argyll, I dont think I'd feel at ease in a tweed and this isnt really an option for me anyway. I think I'll also go with the silk necktie (which should come today). I'll post up pictures in a few days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galician View Post
    Thanks. So would what I'm wearing in my profile photo properly be called a Barathea? I had ordered it as an Argyll.
    As I understand it, it is still an Argyll, if it has gauntlet cuffs. Barathea is the fabric it is made of, as opposed to tweed or velvet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to vote tweed, but since I read the thread first, I voted plain Argyll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look through the scottish wedding thread in the pics section for an idea of what people tend to wear.
    Bear in mind the vast majority of kilt wearers at weddings in Scotland hire the outfit (with a prince Charlie) or only own one jacket (a prince Charlie) so don't know/bother to wear anything else, and probably consider owning more than one jacket to be an extravagance!
    The weddings (daytime) I have been to have all had a ratio of roughly 10 to 1prince Charlie to other types of jackets.
    Basically, you can get away with whatever you want, unless it is a high society do. Very few people in Scotland know/care about what is considered "appropriate" highland dress, so the chance of creating a stir by turning up in a tweed or a prince Charlie is just about nil.
    Anything other than plain colour hose, though, is sure to get a reaction!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast