X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tilted Kilt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We found ourselves in Lexington, Kentucky's 'The Pub' last weekend. All the waiters were in kilts, all the waitresses in pleated (tiny) mini skirts.

The place suffered from a real indentity crisis given the GIANT union jack painted on the ceiling and the overall sense of British-ness. Why the kilts??? Still it's nice to see them (even if they were of any number of mismatched tartans). The bar did have a glorious amount of draught beers. Belhaven's 'Twisted Thistle' was unbelievable good -as was my half & half (Guinness over Harp).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    For your own safety, Avoid Renissaince Faires and Highland Games

I see that at my local TK, I'll give them some pointers sometimes. "Hey man, hike up that kilt, let's see them knees, see, like this". That would have been a good way to make friends with the bartender.
    I agree the best way to educate is not with a hammer, but with a friendly hand. Theirs is a theme restaurant. Let's just enjoy the atmosphere
    and stop being a kilt purist. Let me know when the opening night, I'll be there to enjoy the first pint. That's right, Im calling for a kilt night!int:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Zardoz and BatlRatl. Education...maybe one employee at a time. Year's ago I went kilted to the original Tilted Kilt in Las Vegas and found a greasy, empty, neighborhood bar with a few old travel posters. The bartender was the only one there - no other customers.

Then checked out the Tilted Kilt at the Rio (now long closed) and found a noisy place with bad food and the employees dressed pretty much as noted. Seemed more a pool hall than anything Scottish.

The good news was a small gift shop with cool t-shirts and leather jackets (made in China of course). So, if there is a gift shop included when the place opens up you may want to check out their wares as possible kilt acccessories.

And, for me, it felt good to go reasonably properly kilted to the place.

Seems they're getting better - certainly better than the original dive bar. I believe most locations are franchise operations so there may be some hope for improvement (if you feel that's a necessary chore to undertake) by getting to know the owner.

Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TK in Houston has a lot of good prints, posters, pictures, and other decorations on the wall, and the food really is good. The way I look at it, if the place closes I want to be first in line to buy the wall items.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people just can't get past themselves.

As has been stated in other posts, it is just a uniform.

I am sure you would want someone to help you along if you were not wearing the kilt properly.

Help others, and you will find that the world is a better place to live.

Were you a pro when you started?
    Last edited by Hutch863; 28th January 10 at 08:08 AM. Reason: delete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Florida Rabble, Please notify me when you have a get together at the tilted Kilt. I live SouthWest of Orlando, and would like to join y'all.

Reading the other posts here, lends me to see that some people can't get past themselves.

Were all of us pros at wearing the kilt when we started? I think not.

Wouldn't it be a better world if we all helped each other get it right? I think so.

I am not a pro.

Yes, the kilts in the kilted kilt are uniforms, and as with all other uniformed establishments, some people need help in getting it right.

I think I would have helped the bartender get it right, not only for his appearance, but the appearance of him in other peoples eyes, having an impact on how they see the kilt wearer.

I will get off my soap box now and go help someone who is having a bad day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well as of late i have not recieved any emails from the Owners so i dont know if the current state of economy has slowed or even cancelled the pruposed new location here in Orlando, however if a big enough group from around the central florida area still wanted to get together at one of the locations in tampa i am sure we could try to make that happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have an update for the local rabble, I received an E-flyer from tilted kilt so I decided to check the site and see if there had been any changes and yes we are getting closer, the update is they are having their hiring fair over this week so we are definitely making progress, the other item of note is now there will be a second location opened on I-Drive at some point. So hopefully we can find the opening date and coordinate something.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure that a Tilted Kilt opening in your area is as rare an event as you might think. They opened one downtown here...rather a no-brainer, really...but then they opened one at the mall due West of my house. The site is a restaurant building that has had several ownerships over the years...the most notable (and funniest) was its last incarnation as "Bongo Johnny's Big Beach Shack"....this in a Southwestern Suburb of Chicago...hey, surf's up, Moondoggie!

I may one day stop in the one downtown with my son's manager from the comic book shop...I keep offering to lend him a kilt just for the occasion but he just won't take the plunge, possible free drinks not withstanding. I won't stop in the one in the suburb...at least not kilted...I just don't want to look like one of the props from the place. But that's just me...a crabby old man...you kids go on and have a good time...

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion...If you are the type who would be offended by going to Hooters, then don't go to the TK. Like Hooters, the food is pretty good and the waitresses are generally young, good looking lasses. In my experiences, they seemed to give me better service than other guys who were there at the same time because of my kilt.
    [I]When God created men, he made the intelligent ones kilted so women could tell just by looking.[/I]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast