X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TRF was a real letdown for Kelley and I this year. The only thing that I can attribute it to is the MASSIVE crowds in attendance on black Friday. I thought it would be quieter on this day. In fact, I think Zardos said as much.

Oh well. Got to the Prince of Wales at about 1pm and missed everyone. I'm looking forward to a new faire near Austin called Sherwood Forest Faire. I think it is going to be a really fun faire.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DireStraitsFan View Post
    I'm looking forward to a new faire near Austin called Sherwood Forest Faire. I think it is going to be a really fun faire.
    Wow - I'd never heard of that one until now. Looks like it's a new start-up faire. Thanks for pointing it out!

http://sherwoodforestfaire.com/index.htm

It doesn't look like they have any specific Scottish/Highlands themed weekends or anything. But I'll likely go kilted anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Well... I'm sorry we all didn't get to meet up, but one of the many things I've learned about TRF is that it seems to induce a slight case of attention deficit disorder in me and I'm sure everyone else who comes through the gate! That, combined with the big crowds and 54 acres of distractions makes it nearly impossible to meet anybody at a certain time or place!
    I always hear from people that were there the same days as me and they wonder why we didn't see each other! (then again, on Highland Saturday one of the girls' ex-husbands kept popping up again and again!)

Speaking of crowds, in the last couple years black Friday was no bigger than a slow to average Saturday, maybe 27,000 folks. No idea why this one was almost 38,000! Highland Saturday had about 35,000 this year which I thought was a bit crowded! I think next year unless there's a clan get-together or something, I'm just gonna go on Sundays.

Thanks for mentioning the Sherwood Forest faire, this will be the first year, but it is coming together nicely, and should be a great faire.

And don't forget Dickens on the Strand this weekend in Galveston, if you wanna find me there Saturday, try the Rogues' shows; Crystal Palace Stage 11:30am or the Windsor Castle Stage 2:00pm
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were a lot of people there, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself as did my girls. I expected it to be packed, though, so it was fine by us. We were able to catch all of the shows we wanted. Saw Tartanic twice.

Didn't make the meetup because it's just too hard with little girls in tow who want to go see (and touch) everything in the shops.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345