X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stores

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stores

Can anyone recommend any scottish stores in GA? Anywhere?

I enjoy the online kilt browsing and looking at sporrans and etc but I really want to lay hands on some of this stuff before pulling the trigger. Is there anywhere in GA to shop in person?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might try the Curiosity Shop in Aiken, SC, if you're ever up that way. There's not a huge selection, but they're pretty helpful.

Regards,
    Rex.
    At any moment you must be prepared to give up who you are today for who you could become tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's the Scottish Mill Shop, about a half hour from Savannah, across the river towards Hilton Head. A small but decent selection and some helpful folks:

http://www.scottishmillshop.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not familiar with any in Georgia. With the Scottish Tartans Museum being so close in Franklin NC, that is where I head.
    "A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it." anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen. An added advantage to the STM in Franklin is Matt, Ronan, Jim, and Walter. The knowledge and help that these men can lend is a value that transends proximity and price.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Mark! Depending on where you are in GA, we are probably the closest thing to you. Franklin, NC, is just north of the NC/GA border. Downtown Franklin is only about 15 minutes from Dillard, GA, and less than half an hour from Clayton.

We are getting ready to head down to the Stone Mountain Highland Games (Atlanta) this week, and that will take us about 2.5 hours.

By the way, the Highland Games are another great opportunity for you to browse and actually lay your hands on some of these items. We'll be bringing a good amount of our gift shop inventory down with us to vend at those games -- one of our major fund raisers for the year.

Aye,
    Matt

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up I 2nd and 3rd that!

Too right on that point. Find the closest and nearest Highland games- that way you can really do your shopping amongst probably the best array of vendors this side of Ben Lomond... And Franklin alone will be well worth the drive, too, especially for the family.

But you won't find better products or local kilt making than Matt and the Tartans Museum. That Newsome boy knows his stuff and will set you right for kilt wear and all accoutrements. Granted he does tend to be on the more traditional side of the industry, but that aint a bad thing. Go to Stone Mtn and compare and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Just remember, don't have TOO much fun (your kids gotta eat, too).

Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    Thanks, Mark! Depending on where you are in GA, we are probably the closest thing to you. Franklin, NC, is just north of the NC/GA border. Downtown Franklin is only about 15 minutes from Dillard, GA, and less than half an hour from Clayton.

We are getting ready to head down to the Stone Mountain Highland Games (Atlanta) this week, and that will take us about 2.5 hours.

By the way, the Highland Games are another great opportunity for you to browse and actually lay your hands on some of these items. We'll be bringing a good amount of our gift shop inventory down with us to vend at those games -- one of our major fund raisers for the year.

Aye,
    Matt
    Here's tae us, Whas like us... Deil the Yin!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to check out Savannah Kilts. www.jbyous.com/JByousKilts.html
    Drum Major and Piper with the Atholl Highlanders Pipes and Drums of Stone Mountain, GA

MacKay71 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Scottish Tartans Muesem is the way to go!!! You can be there in less than 3 hours from Atlanta!
    Scott D McKay

* The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits *

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just begun talking to my wife about this very topic. There are so many Excellent craftsmen in GA for Leather. (Oconee Leather and Thorfin to name but two.) But there is simply no place to really SHOP. I am thinking about perhaps opening a small shop in Gwinnett County for this reason.

Mind you, this is in a purely seminal stage. I think I would have to cary a selection of Casual and modern kilts as well as some less expensive items, but I would also want to have a line for the "connoisseur." I want to have items that the Discerning Kiltie will be proud to wear as well as items for the newbie or St' Patricks only kiltie.

I was thinking near the Discover Mills / Sugarloaf area. Any ideas???
    Loyalty, Friendship, and Love....The Definition of family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast