X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of musicians who play th hammered dulcimer. Two of the most famous I know are John MacCutcheon (?sp) and Malcolm Dalgleish, and this piece could easily be one of them or someone else. I too love hammered dulcimer and have probably 20 or more albums of music based around it.

Trivia question: what modern day very popular instrument is based on the originial concelt of the hammered dulcimer (hammers striking multiply stringed notes)? Answer tomorrow unless somebody guesses it before then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey FM, your riddle answer is the piano.

Chas, I cannot see enough to hazard a guess who the artist is. It doesn't sound to me like either McCutcheon or Dalgliesh - not quite flowery enough for either, although that might not be right.

Neither do I recognize the instrument maker. That oak leaf and acorn soundhole looks pretty distinctive, but I've not seen any like it before. I always used something simple, like an f-hole or a heart.

I do not know a Scottish name for the instrument. The Irish call it a Tiompan, and I understand it figured prominently in both Scottish and Irish music during the time when the English outlawed both bagpipes and harps. The instrument is much older, being shown on carvings on the Egyptian pyramids, probably into the 2nd millenium BC. Seems to have gotten around a lot, too, as many ancient cultures had names for it.

You can find a lot of music for it, and most of it is Scottish or Irish in origin. Elderly Instruments used to have a plethora of CD's and tapes available. They are really pretty simple to play.

I don't play much anymore, although am demonstrating at a festival this weekend. Guess my interests moved on (Bicycles and Bagpipes).

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForresterModern View Post
    Trivia question: what modern day very popular instrument is based on the originial concelt of the hammered dulcimer (hammers striking multiply stringed notes)? Answer tomorrow unless somebody guesses it before then.
    Piano?
    [B][U]Jay[/U][/B]
    [B]Clan Rose[/B]-[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Constant and True[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][I]"I cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblins; In a brand new pair of brogues to ramble o'er the bogs and frighten all the dogs " - D. K. Gavan[/I][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Does anybody know who this is? And what is the name of the music? And anything else?

http://www.wimp.com/hammereddulcimer/

Regards

Chas
    Isn't the tune "The Muckin' O' Geordie's Byre"? I'm sorry I don't know the musician.

It is a fascinating instrument. Anytime I hear one at a folk music festival or such, I'm just mesmerized by the sound. The only recording I have is a Christmas CD of period pieces and this is one of the featured instruments.

during the time when the English outlawed both bagpipes and harps
    Although this is an often repeated statement, the bagpipes were never outlawed in the Act of Proscription. They were in a separate court case deemed an "instrument of war" which was then the justification for a death sentence of the piper in question but my understanding is this was an isolated case, implicating him as being in and with "armed men".

Some do make the case that the pipes were included in the broader language, however, it is clear that the piping tradition continued during the "dark years" and I have yet to see evidence of their actual ban. This is one of those topics that always gets bandied about on the piping boards and I too always had accepted this story of their ban. However, like many things, this is another one that just doesn't seem to stand the scrutiny of history.

For simplicity sake, I pulled this from Wiki (I know, I know . . .):
    [edit] Sections of the Act
    A new section, which became known as the Dress Act, banned wearing of "the Highland Dress". Provision was also included to protect those involved in putting down the rebellion from lawsuits. Measures to prevent children from being "educated in disaffected or rebellious principles" included a requirement for school prayers for the King and Royal family.

Claims that other portions of the Act of Proscription prohibited the playing of bagpipes, the gathering of people, and the teaching of Gaelic (the Highlander's native tongue) do not appear to be supported by the text of the Act at the link shown below.

The portions that forbade other acts were covered under the generality of this part of the statute: "any part whatsoever of what peculiarly belongs to the highland garb. . ." The "whatsoever" makes it clear that this was not restricted to "only" traditional clothing. As bagpipes "belonged to the highland garb" and the Scottish Gaelic language could also be thus interpreted, these were used to that effect. [2]

The most severe penalties, at a minimum six months incarceration and transportation to a penal colony for a second offense, made these the most severe portion of this act.
    The "whatsoever" is what this claim is based on but again, no one seems to be able to substantiate that the Act was ever interpreted or prosecuted in this manner.
    Ken

"The best things written about the bagpipe are written on five lines of the great staff" - Pipe Major Donald MacLeod, MBE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HarborSpringsPiper View Post

Although this is an often repeated statement, the bagpipes were never outlawed in the Act of Proscription. They were in a separate court case deemed an "instrument of war" which was then the justification for a death sentence of the piper in question but my understanding is this was an isolated case, implicating him as being in and with "armed men".

I stand corrected (certainly not unusual). Guess I heard that from so many sources I accepted it on face value, but you're probably right.

Even so, you would think they had to be careful. The statement has been attributed to Sir Walter Scott that "Twelve clansmen and one piper make a rebellion".

Round Bros. in Grandview MI used to make the best hammered dulcimers I've ever seen. Not sure if they are still doing so.

Elderly Instruments used to have a large selection of CD's and tapes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HarborSpringsPiper View Post
    Isn't the tune "The Muckin' O' Geordie's Byre"? I'm sorry I don't know the musician.
    Here it is in fiddle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNslYcA2g7M
    Accordion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s4GU8Hzx5M
    Tin Whistle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sreUfDmMU0
    In song, Andy Stewart
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XgMx...BEEA8&index=15

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll throw in a plug for my man, David James.

http://www.tiompanalley.com/index.htm

...a rather confusing website but a lot of information if you take the time.

This fella teaches hereabouts and is the single most multi-instrumental guy that I know.

Best

AA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will likewise throw out a plug for my friend Dan Landrum

http://danlandrum.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick Google search led to the youtube source: it's "The Rakes of Kildare," 'played on an Oakwood "Acorn" Hammered Dulcimer,' according to the original poster, who is apparently also the player.
    Last edited by NewGuise; 15th December 09 at 02:05 PM.
    Garrett

"Then help me for to kilt my clais..." Schir David Lindsay, Ane Satyre of the Thrie Estaitis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewGuise View Post
    A quick Google search led to the youtube source: it's "The Rakes of Kildare," 'played on an Oakwood "Acorn" Hammered Dulcimer, according to the original poster, who is apparently also the player.
    Good pickup!
    Ken

"The best things written about the bagpipe are written on five lines of the great staff" - Pipe Major Donald MacLeod, MBE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast