X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting together a Jacobite impression

Greetings,

I am trying t o put together a Jacobite impression. More specifically, I would like to procure the proper attire to portray a mid -rank highlander. I would like to know some of the sources that provide authentic Jacobite stuff.Are there any vendors that sale ready made garments, and or take on orderst o make stuff.

Thanks,

David Long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing by "Jacobite" you are referring to the period of the Rebellion of 1745-46? That being the case, probably the best basic reference would be the Osprey book on the Jacobite Rebellion. You should be able to obtain it via Amazon, or perhaps find a copy on ebay.

As far as costume suppliers are concerned, I'll leave that to the reenactors on the forum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best source of tailor-made '45 Jacobite clothing items is Missy Clark of "Barkertown Sutlers." She's very knowledgeable, experienced, and easy to work with.
    http://www.barkertownsutlers.com/

Proper knitted bonnets of the period are available here (knitted by our very own "unaspenser")"
    http://www.russetlodgeknits.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by Woodsheal; 14th October 09 at 04:42 PM.
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentleman,

I know what I need, based upon my research. However, I am simply looking at possible methods for acquring this stuff.
    Thank you for the reccomendations thus far. However, one question remains,and that is in regards to suppliers of plaid. What are some good sources to look at when considering plaid material for purchase? Should I go with a standard mill in Scotland? Or, like I've heard a few folks say, look at your local fabric shop? The later of these options has been very frustrating.Most shops will not even give you the time of day when you mention plaid, let alone the specific weight and weave you are looking for.Does anyone know of a store that can obtain proper plaid for the '45 period?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely purchase tartan cloth from one of the well known Scottish mills.
    [B][U]Jay[/U][/B]
    [B]Clan Rose[/B]-[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Constant and True[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][I]"I cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblins; In a brand new pair of brogues to ramble o'er the bogs and frighten all the dogs " - D. K. Gavan[/I][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try Geoffry Tailor in Edinburgh as they have their own mills and, unless you want a specific tartan, could probably supply 4-5 yards of double width fabric from their stock on hand. Closer to home you might check with Matt Newsome and see what he (or any of the other vendors on this site) can scare up for you. Your other option would be wholesalers in New York's garment district, but I doubt you would find the weight you are looking for. Either way, good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you going for an accurate representation? If so, then modern kilting material would not be correct for the period. Maybe for the 19th century, but not 18th. Celtic Croft sells a homespun material that I think more accurately represents the material of that period. But it is not 100% wool. Woodsheal might have a better opinion on that. And again, if you are going for accuracy, stay away from modern clan tartans. They did not exist then. There are some tartans that are pre-Culloden, so look for those.

As for jackets and waistcoats, it's usually made by individuals in their homes. These are usally hand made and made to measure, so be prepaired to pay a premium. The links already provided are your best bet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathBar View Post
    Are you going for an accurate representation? If so, then modern kilting material would not be correct for the period.
    Agreed here, since a lot of wool was done on more home looms. I haven't found a reference to when worsted wool took over the more common saxony, but I reckon it happened amount the upper-class first.

And again, if you are going for accuracy, stay away from modern clan tartans. They did not exist then. There are some tartans that are pre-Culloden, so look for those.
    I can't see making a big deal out of this one. We don't have too many records of pre-Colluden tartans, but given enough weavers and enough fabric being made and I can only imagine that all sorts of tartans came out of those mills.

If we had record of 'These were the only six pre-Colluden tartans used' that would be one thing, but there isn't.

I would re-issue word it this way:

"It would be helpful to avoid the common and cliche tartans that are frequently recognized as few (if any) clans had official tartans. If you have a choice, pick an obscure tartan but never give it a name.

In addition, look for a tartan in ancient colors as modern dies have a much different look than the older biological dies."

As for jackets and waistcoats, it's usually made by individuals in their homes. These are usally hand made and made to measure, so be prepaired to pay a premium. The links already provided are your best bet.