X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post
    Can't beat X-ers on a road trip.
    I missed seeing you. Next year!

Yes, thank you Turpin for allowing us to "school up" at your House. A few times I noticed about 35 people all seeking a dry spot under that tent!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super pictures and thank you for sharing them. It looks as though you were all experiencing some Scottish type weather too! Wool and a lot of it, can be handy sometimes.LOL

MacKay71 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it was rather cool all weekend. It seemed alot colder though since it was so warm all week during setup. We'll add pics soon!
    Scott D McKay

* The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits *

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok gents, my turn.

As has been said, this was one of the coldest Stone Mountain games I can remember. The weatherman had called for Sunny and Chilly all weekend and he missed badly on Saturday. It was in the mid 30's at the start of the day and never really got much above 50 throughout. Add to that the mist most of the morning and down right rain during the opening ceremonies, it got quite cold. For the first time in my life I wished I had been wearing the great kilt!

Ok, to the pictures;

This is the group I took to the games with me, I am on the left in MacKinnon Hunting, next is Michael, a young man I have been mentoring for a few years, in his newly acquired MacMillan USA casual and wearing the kilt for the first time, Sean (who is not a member here) sporting a Clark great kilt, and Bruce wearing a Black Stewart still water (also his first time in a kilt!)

Heading to the games, one of our first stops was the Wild Highlanders booth to meet some 'old' friends...

First was King Robert!

And another rather scary gentleman!

We spent a fair amount of time just walking the grounds so that Bruce and Michael could enjoy their first highland games. With the rain, I did not break the camera out too much. But we stopped at the shops, watched some highland dancing, enjoyed the harps and fiddles and even strayed into the competition area for the bagpipers.

Sunday came and Michael was signed up for the amateur athlete clinic to give some of the heavy stuff a try.

Here he is with the heavy weight for distance. And then....

he actually tried the caber! he was able to pick it up, but could not control it to attempt the toss...

Moving on, we attended the herding demonstrations with both ducks and sheep...

The ducks were having none of it and took quite a long time for the dogs to get them herded!

Four dogs against three sheep seemed a bit of overkill, but there were kids involved. They were herding the sheep around a bunch of children they had let on the field.

Michael's mother joined us later in the day and was able to try some of the sample haggis at the tartan museum tent. I think the picture says it all!

Haggis Face! She did not enjoy it one bit. Oh well, there is no accounting for taste.

Michael and his mother were able to participate in the gathering of the clans under the MacMillan banner. It was cool to see so many folks on the parade field at once. Unfortunately, the MacKinnons don't journey this far south.

Lastly, the MacMillan's won some sort of trophy during the event, here is Michael's mom with the group and trophy at the tent...

All in all, I had a great time. I had a chance to meet some of the folks from the board for the first time and got to meet up with some I had met before. If you have never made it to the Stone Mountain games, you should get it on your calendar!
    "A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it." anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a great time all weekend and hope to get to see everyone again at future games!
    Sapienter si sincereClan Davidson (USA)
    Bydand Do well and let them say...GORDON!My Blog
    "I'll have a scotch on the rocks. Any scotch will do as long as it's not a blend of course. Single malt Glenlivet, Glenfiddich perhaps maybe a Glen... any Glen." -Swingers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics, folks, its always interesting to see games pics from elsewhere. Special thanks to Heathbar for that pic of the Clan Cunningham tent, you appear to have captured on camera David Pickens the President of Clan Cunningham International!
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos. I am going to have to make it to those games one of these years.
    Nelson
    "Every man dies. Not every man really lives"
    Braveheart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Super pictures and thank you for sharing them. It looks as though you were all experiencing some Scottish type weather too! Wool and a lot of it, can be handy sometimes.LOL
    During his remarks at the opening ceremony the Honored Guest, the Chief of Macdonnell of Glengary, took the blame for bringing the weather with him.
    Convener, Georgia Chapter, House of Gordon (Boss H.O.G.)

Where 4 Scotsmen gather there'll usually be a fifth.
    7/5 of the world's population have a difficult time with fractions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics. I love the woodsy setting of the SMHG. I've been to two of the largest Highland games in the U.S. (Loon Mountain, Longs Peak) and must make it to Stone Mountain one of these years.
    [B][U]Jay[/U][/B]
    [B]Clan Rose[/B]-[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Constant and True[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][I]"I cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblins; In a brand new pair of brogues to ramble o'er the bogs and frighten all the dogs " - D. K. Gavan[/I][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Splash_4 View Post
    ...try some of the sample haggis at the tartan museum tent. .... there is no accounting for taste.
    You are correct about the accounting for taste! As an example: I just loved the haggis, however, Carol does not like it.

I appreciate the Scottish Tartans Museum's consideration and generosity for having it out for sampling. Did you know that this particular canned haggis has "at least a 5-year shelf life?" Every guy needs to have some of this squirreled away in his garage/cave for lean times. About a case should do it! Thanks again.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast