X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    A couple of purely theoretical questions Nick. Should one take up option "b" and purchase a "release" does that buy the exclusive use of the tartan in question too? If not, is there an option "c" to allow for this?
    Make us an offer. :-) As I recall, it's somewhere in the T&C that we're happy to discuss both. But the honest answer is that this whole facility is too new for us to have shaped up firm policies or indeed prices for this sort of thing - we've been far too busy trying to make the mechanics of it work. My guiding principle is simply to be reasonable about it, which means fair to us as well as to the customer. We're not in this to create a stranglehold, but at the same time we think it's fair that we get a return on the work we've put in.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Nick.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is very fair and reasonable, Nick. When I design a tartan, part of the fee is for the design work and part of the fee for the production of the cloth. So if someone wants the cloth produced elsewhere, that's fine because I still charge for the deisgn work.

Here, you are not actually providing the design work, but providing the means for the client to do his own design work. As you have said, the development of that means has been quite an investment for you.

There are really only two ways to handle it, in my opinion -- 1) charge people to use the design software, or 2) make the use of the software free, but ensure that you get the cloth purchase from the design.

I think number 2, which you have chosen, is a very user-friendly option that allows the potential customer to expirament a little without any cost or risk. But it is important that people to do take advantage of the software be aware of the Terms and Conditions they are agreeing to.

Back to Rex's tartan -- I've said it before but it bears repeating -- splendid design!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12