X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clan tents at games - Canada & US

I have a few questions for those of you that go to highland games and festivals. First, in your area what is the largest games? Are there a lot of Clan Tents there? Second, do you know of games not in your area that are large and have lots of Clan Tents?

Our clan is looking at setting up a Clan Tent at several games in the next year for the purpose of letting those of our Clan know about our Clan Association. To that purpose, I am putting together information for our Clan Commissioner so that we can make sure we have current members close enough to set up tents.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the Southeastern US, I recommend you start with Grandfather Mountain Highland Games in Linville, NC and Stone Mountain Highland Games down in GA for sheer volume of folks coming through the tent. They're the biggest by far in this area. Loch Norman is also nice, near Charlotte, NC, but not as big.

Cordially,

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Northern California it's the Caledonian Club of San Francisco (aka Pleasanton Games). http://www.caledonian.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Michigan, the Alma Highland Festival is the largest followed by the Detriot Games in Livonia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the southeast, Grandfather and Stone Mountain are the largest with close to 100 clans each. But they are also the most expensive. Stone Mtn. was $185 for just a tent. I think Grandfather is over $200. So that is something to consider. A couple of games in the area that are smaller but still well attended is Glasgow, KY and Gatlinburg, TN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the Northeast, the largest games are the New Hampshire Highland games at Loon Mountain.
    [B][U]Jay[/U][/B]
    [B]Clan Rose[/B]-[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Constant and True[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][I]"I cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblins; In a brand new pair of brogues to ramble o'er the bogs and frighten all the dogs " - D. K. Gavan[/I][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two biggest in Canada are the Glengarry Highland Games and Fergus Highland Games, both are in Ontario. They take place the first and second weekend in August.
    The leather and hemp Kilt Guy in Stratford, Ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Virginia, The Richmond games have been the largest. It's a two day event with usually more than 50 clans and societies represented. This year, the Richmond games have a new namwe(Meadows Games) and a new venue in Doswell Virginia, near the King's Dominion theme park, so I'm not sure how it has changed. It's not as big as Grandfather mountain, but, at least for us old farts who don't do the camping thing any more, there are more accomidations close to the games site.
    "A day spent in the fields and woods, or on the water should not count as a day off our allotted number upon this earth."
    Jerry, Kilted Old Fart.

Vancouver on the Mighty Columbia. That's in Washington State USA for the geographically challanged.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Oregon it's the Portland Games, and in Washington, it's the Seattle games held at the fair grounds at Enumclaw.
    Victoria

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll chime in with a Southern California viewpoint.

The only Games I'm aware of in the greater San Diego area are held in Vista. Link This is a smallish event but a lovely venue and, as I said, the only Games in town

In greater Los Angeles/Orange County metrosprawl, I'm aware of two:

Orange County has "ScotsFest" held at the fairgrounds in Costa Mesa. Link I've yet to attend these Games, as they fall on Memorial Day weekend. Their site mentions attendance of 16,000 -- 90 "Vendors, Organizations or Societies -- and "more than 60" clans.

The Queen Mary Scottish Festival doesn't have a very good Web presence, that I can find, but scroll to the bottom of this page for some 2009 info. I very much dislike this venue, and will not attend again. Clans are inside the ship, restricted to flat tables, and it ends up looking like a rather dowdy trade show.

Farther north are the Seaside Games in Ventura Link These are my second-favorite, after Vista, and there are lots of pictures from the venue posted in my recent thread.

If I've missed an event in the area, my apologies, as I said these are the ones I'm aware of. Hope this helps!
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast