I have my opinion on this matter but I would like to see yours. In a recent thread about the chap asking opinions about his dress at the Navy Ball I noticed some comments on his medals.

Many US military guys as well as Scottie Thompson(So You Are Going to Wear the Kilt) suggest the proper place to wear medals is stacked and over the breast pocket of the evening jacket(Argyle, PC etc for Scottish Dress). I think they give the reason that a evening jacket is not a uniform. However, in the UK I have noticed the Royals as well as others wearing their medals in the more striking manner on their lapel in a straight line on their standard civilliian dinner jackets and tailcoats (Princes Charles and Philip as well as Sir Winston Churchill's go well off the lapel).

I did serve in both the US Army and US Navy for a time and earned a modest amount of medals. So I am wondering if one way is the US style and one way the UK style and if so does it really matter unless you are still under the UCMJ(Uniform Code of Military Justice) and even then.