X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 79thReproductions View Post

Here's an actual Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders OR sporran so you can see the actual colours. The leather is usually black, often varnished so as to be shiny. It seems as if the finish has come off this leather.

Note the brass metalwork, and the black hair.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great. Thanks for the clarification.

Even though the sporrans in question should be black rather than brown, I really like the look of them in brown. Maybe a DIY project in the future...
    Kilted Teacher and Wilderness Ranger and proud member of Clan Donald, USA
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.
    New home of Sierra Nevada AND New Belgium breweries!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest reason the sporran hair and metal colour jumped out at me is because these things are important "tribal" distinctions in the military.

So in the Cameron Highlanders, and in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, the ORs sporrans were black hair, the pipers sporrans were brown/grey hair.

Also the pipers sporrans of the 2nd Battalion, Seaforth Highlanders, were brown/grey hair. (The 1st Battalion pipers sporrans were white hair, like the ORs of both Battalions.)

You would never have an ORs sporran in brown/grey hair, because the OR sporrans were either white or black in all the Scottish Highland regiments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a few Scottish WW1 photos too, but I haven't a clue how to upload them to the thread. So, instead I've saved them into my public album entitiled Great War Images. You should take time out to look at it.

How do you upload to a post ? I tried pasting the photo's URL here but it wouldn't take it.
    Last edited by Lachlan09; 21st December 09 at 04:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just stumbled onto this thread .

Thank you very much for the feedback guys I really appreciate it, and thank you to Rachel for posting them in the first place.

McMurdo is right I've been a member of the forum for sometime, but haven't posted in awhile, due to family things and other issues .

I use CS3 photoshop for colourising . I don't like the automated process that some software offer, preferring instead the hands on approach ( I'm an artist by trade so the virtual brush works best for me ) Its very time consuming but the end result I think is worth it.

In reply to OC Richard.
    Thank you very much for pointing out the correct colouring of the sporrans on the A & S images . I try to research as thoroughly I can, in an attempt to get colours as close as possible to the genuine article. But sometimes mistakes can be made and I'll be the first to put my hand up to admit to them . And in doing so I've noted your observations for future reference.

Regards

Chris aka Cef
    Last edited by CEF; 22nd February 10 at 04:43 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456