X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    I'll try to snap a photo of the cockade my mother made for me years ago in the livery colours of our chief.

T.
    Todd, did you ever get the picture taken? ....just curious
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine being gules and argent (Donnachaidh), I've made several simple cockades myself. I'll try to get a photo as well for comparison.

In fact, I've been thinking of replacing one of the white cockades I usually wear with a red and white ribbon cockade, so I think I'll do it and take a picture. I know all will be waiting with baited breath.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post
    Mine being gules and argent (Donnachaidh), I've made several simple cockades myself. I'll try to get a photo as well for comparison.

In fact, I've been thinking of replacing one of the white cockades I usually wear with a red and white ribbon cockade, so I think I'll do it and take a picture. I know all will be waiting with baited breath.
    I for one!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    Todd, did you ever get the picture taken? ....just curious

Apologies for the delay...not the best photo, but at least it gives you an idea of what it looks like.

T.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traditionally speaking, civilian cockades should be made up of one's livery colours, or the livery colours of one's chief. And shame on those who do not know their chief's livery...
    Well double shame on me then, because I don't even know what livery is in the first place. I don't know how I'm supposed to have livery colors if I don't have livery in the first place (or not that I know of anyway). What the heck is livery???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    Apologies for the delay...not the best photo, but at least it gives you an idea of what it looks like.

T.
    No worries Todd
    Thanks for posting it, it looks good!

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Todd,
    That's a fine looking cockade! Did you make it yourself? If so, how did you do it and where did you find the ribbon? I went to a couple of local craft shops and couldn't find anything wider than 1.5" (this was several years ago though).

My chief (Buccleugh) has the same livery colors (or and azure for Scott).
    John

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    Todd,
    That's a fine looking cockade! Did you make it yourself? If so, how did you do it and where did you find the ribbon? I went to a couple of local craft shops and couldn't find anything wider than 1.5" (this was several years ago though).

My chief (Buccleugh) has the same livery colors (or and azure for Scott).
    My mother made it for me a number of years ago, following the pattern from Thompson's book. The grosgrain ribbon came from a local fabrics store, if memory serves me correctly. I just don't remember one. <grin>

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    What the heck is livery???
    Livery - Clothes or uniform a person of rank gave to his retainers or servants.
    If you see abbreviations, initials or acronyms you do not know the Xmarks FAQ section on abbreviations may help.

www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/faq.php?faq=xmarks_faq#faq_faq_abbr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here cometh the lesson:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Well double shame on me then, because I don't even know what livery is in the first place. I don't know how I'm supposed to have livery colors if I don't have livery in the first place (or not that I know of anyway). What the heck is livery???
    Friday has given us the text-book (or is that the Funk and Wagnels?) definition, but there is a bit more to it than that:

Livery colours, in the Scottish sense, are comprised of the first mentioned metal (gold or silver) and colour (red, blue, black, green, etc.) in the arms of your clan chief, thusly (for Campbell, Duke of Argyll): a gyrony of eight OR (gold) and SABLE (black). So, the cockade of a Campbell would be YELLOW (representing gold) and BLACK; the arms of Menzies being Argent (white) a chief Gules (red) the livery would be WHITE and RED, and so it would follow for every armiger in the whole of Scotland, not just Chiefs and Peers.

In the early days of Scottish heraldry only the personal retainers of the Chief were given the buckle and strap; other clanfolk showed their allegiance to their chief by wearing his livery colours as a cockade, or as ribbons. As the concept of the clan badge came to denote membership in the clan (as opposed to being physically in the service of the chief) the use of livery ribbons and cockades slow faded away.

When specialized clothing is supplied to retainers (Friday's definition of livery) the custom is to use the colour for the garment, and the metal for the trimming. Although rarely seen these days in private homes, most servants' livery is of a serviceable colour (something that will not be overly conspicuous) with trimmings on the cuffs, and around the collar or lapel, of the livery colours, usually in the form of flat tape (or ribbons) although sometimes piped in the appropriate colour or colours.

Today there is a revival of livery colours being worn as cockades as a more colourful way of showing clan affiliation and recognition of one's chief.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast