X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question To hat bow or Not to hat bow

I've seen various people wearing their balmorals and occasionally glengarrys with tying the ribbons on the back in a bow. The first time I saw this I inquired and was told that this indicated your marital status -- untied means single, tied means married. My gut feeling about these folks suggested that these folks didn't know what they were talking about, and even with seeing it a fat handful of time since it still seems like like hooie to me. Yes/no -- are modern hats with ribbons ever supposed to have ties, and if so when & why? I think someone also said that this is noted in "So You're Going To Wear The Kilt", true or false?

Relative to this...
    • I understand that the diced check pattern in hats, as with some pipe bands/drummers, comes from early versions of the hats where the ribbons actually laced through the hat around the head and would be tied making the fit of the hat to the wearer. Is this historically accurate?
    • I understand that in modern use w/ pipe/drum corps (and any body else?), wearing hats with dicing is supposed to be done when and indicating service to the queen/crown. Correct/incorrect?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That married and single thing is not to be believed. Your guy feelings were well justified.

You should tie the balmoral's ribbons and trim them neatly on the bias.

Leave the glengarry ribbons loose-always.

You can, of course, do as you like with your own bonnter, and as many are quick to point out, you need not fall victim to tradition or stylistic fascism. But anything less than above looks like you really don't know what you're doing.

P.S. If you ahve a good, well made balmoral from Scotland, the ribbons probably came sewn together from the hat bank down about 3 inches. Pick that thread out carefully so as not to damage the grosgrain ribbon, and then tie the ribbons.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are a Highlander then the ribbons on a balmoral are traditionally tied in a bow. There is a practical reason for this. The highlands are well known for wind and rain and a wet ribbon flicking you in the eye hurts. In the olden days the ribbon was used to adjust the fit. A diced bonnet is rarely worn in the "old" Jacobite areas(a bonnet is rarely worn anyway)as it is still regarded as supporting the Crown by some, but I doubt that there is any written evidence of this. As to the rest of the stories just regard them as just that.If in doubt just cut the ribbons off, no one will notice!

As for a glengarry, anyone who has had to wear one for any length of time, they usually find the nearest bin at the earliest opportunity!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 24th October 09 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    If in doubt just cut the ribbons off, no one will notice!
    Too many folks refer to it as a beret anyway...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BagpiperDon View Post
    Too many folks refer to it as a beret anyway...
    What, with the toorie on the top! Surely not!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Indeed -- its depressing.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BagpiperDon View Post
    Indeed -- its depressing.
    Not really, it only demonstrates the problems of adapting(or keeping your own)a culture amongst all the the other cultures in a relatively young country. Keep going laddie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True.
    I was thinking more along the lines of National Tartan Day and How The Scots Invented The Modern World -- considering the influences Scots have had that the (US) public aren't more aware.

...But, that's just silly talk -- you know, like wishing people might also be more respectful as opposed to yelling the whats-under idiot line &/or kilt flipping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate touries. That's why I prefer the caubeen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most people don't think about wearing a diced hat too much. Most of the Tartan Army wear diced glengarrys when at games - but I'm sure at least some of them do not support the crown and at least a majority do not feel they are giving service to the crown by watching Scotland play football and travelling to other countries to do so. (sorry for the looooooong sentence!)
    It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast